Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polishing a Ti striker?

WARDOG

Today I got a lightining strike titanium firing pin (I know, lightened steel is better, but in Italy only titanium ones are available, and I can't import a steel one)

I installed in my g34 I use in standard Div. And it have the absolute WORST feel I ever felt in a glock trigger pull.

Everything is GRITTY, from the firing pin safety release to the rearward pull (striker spring grits like hell) to the release of the trigger bar nose (it rubs the striker nose like a dead cow dragged on gravelstone...).

I read on Ti striker webpage that the gold finish is a nitride one rated for 70rockwell, I was wondering if I can do some polishing with polish and a dremel felt wheel like I did on my OEM striker.

As a side note, with my stock striker polished and a wolff 4lb spring, I have a crisp 3lbs pull

With Ti one and supplied spring, pull is THE GRITTIEST 4-25lbs I ever felt.

Any advice? Thanks.

Today I got a lightining strike titanium firing pin (I know, lightened steel is better, but in Italy only titanium ones are available, and I can't import a steel one)

I installed in my g34 I use in standard Div. And it have the absolute WORST feel I ever felt in a glock trigger pull.

Everything is GRITTY, from the firing pin safety release to the rearward pull (striker spring grits like hell) to the release of the trigger bar nose (it rubs the striker nose like a dead cow dragged on gravelstone...).

I read on Ti striker webpage that the gold finish is a nitride one rated for 70rockwell, I was wondering if I can do some polishing with polish and a dremel felt wheel like I did on my OEM striker.

As a side note, with my stock striker polished and a wolff 4lb spring, I have a crisp 3lbs pull

With Ti one and supplied spring, pull is THE GRITTIEST 4-25lbs I ever felt.

Any advice? Thanks.

I polished the lighting striker in my G34, I didnt get as aggressive as I did on the stock striker,but I di polish it lightly. As long as you dont take the nitride coating off you will be fine.

Jeff

I've polished the Ti striker, but no luck, still the worst trigger pull I ever felt on a glock..

It seems that the striker nose is made of sandpaper, I can really feel the trigger bar dragging on the nose.

Trigger nose polishing is not an option, at least with the shop equipment I have. Unless you have a stoning jig that did not alter the nose angled face, the risk of rounding the nose or change the angle is just too high.

I've tried 4 different trigger bars, with each one the trigger pull and trigger break felt horrible. There is also lots of drag on the firing pin safety portion of striker.

Problem is that the OEM striker with even a wolff spring did'nt ignite primers sometimes.

I tought that using a lightweight striker would solve it, but if the tradeoff is the worst trigger in universe, I will stick with OEM parts and have an horrible trigger but reliable...

UPDATE: I polished the nose of Ti striker with polish and a felt wheel, being conservative (did not want to damage the carbide coating).

Then I scratched my head, I didn't want to alter the trigger bar sear with stoning, so I put some abrasive compound on Ti nose and trigger bar sear,then proceed to dryfire my G34 like crazy (at least 2500 times).

Then I polished the hell on a LWD 3.5 connector.

Cleaned everything, modded the trigger bar as I learned from JoeD thread (no relocating the pins, only bent the trigger spring tab to 90deg) Installed a reduced power firing pin spring, and VOILA':

-2.01Lbs silk smooth and crisp trigger break.

I have to really thank this forum for all the help and info, thanks guys!

I'm aware of that..

But I was unable to obtain a lightened striker shipped to Italy, so I have to make it with whatever available here.

I will try to homemade lighten a stock striker.

I have a Ti striker as well - it has lasted at least 20-30K, but to shooterbenedetto's point - Ti is a lot softer and you gotta watch for problems. Also, the TiN or TiNC coating is a ceramic and while it is very hard it can be removed (polished away) because it is not very thick. Once you remove the coating - expect to accelerate the wear of the part.