Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Life Expectancy Of Bull Barrels

moonster

Hi everyone, I'm an IPSC shooter from Argentina with a major concern... I have a Briley Bull Barrel .40 with approx 30,000 rounds through it with an Aftec extractor. Recently the brass has not been extracting and jams my gun.

My gunsmith tells me that it's because the barrel chamber has deformed. The grooves are perfect and the gun still shoots sub 1 inch groups at 25 meters. My question is:

1. What is the life expectancy of a barrel

2. What is the life expectancy of an Aftec extractor?

Thanks guys!

"the barrel chamber has deformed"???????

Deforming a chamber takes a lot of work. As in blowing a case. If you haven't, then chamber deformation would be very low on my list of things to check.

1) Extractor tension

2) Extractor hook engagment

3) Extractor hook hitting barrel, leading to hook damage

4) Ejector shape and tightness

5) Reloading change such as different crimp

6) Powder change, altering function dynamics

And last, is it with random magazines, or always with a particular one?

30,000 rounds is nothing. A properly fitted barrel with good ammo is a lifetime proposition. Or five years of Jerry Barnhart practice.

I would agree. I have heard of people having some eroded chamber problems shooting lots of 9mm and 9x21 through a .38super barrel, but to deform the chamber to a degree to impede function would take a lot.

Guest bulm5
Hi everyone, I'm an IPSC shooter from Argentina with a major concern... I have a Briley Bull Barrel .40 with approx 30,000 rounds through it with an Aftec extractor. Recently the brass has not been extracting and jams my gun.

My gunsmith tells me that it's because the barrel chamber has deformed. The grooves are perfect and the gun still shoots sub 1 inch groups at 25 meters. My question is:

1. What is the life expectancy of a barrel

2. What is the life expectancy of an Aftec extractor?

Thanks guys!

i bet ya you are shooting lead. A good cleaning may help.

Thanks guys... So it may be the Aftec extractor? What is the life expectancy for extractors then?

On the barrel: I say that the chamber is deformed cause there are two rings in the chamber that weren't present before.

Thanks people!