Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What weight bullet for single stack?

tpe187

Hello All,

I've been shooting 230gr fmj and 3.8gr of Clays forever, but mostly for recreational, non competive shooting. I've been shooting limited for a while but I'm thinking of going to single stack with my Kimber Gold Combat. Since I've got to order some more bullets soon I thought I would see what weight most are using. I'm not really interested in shooting lead, so I want to stick to fmj or coated. Too many problems with leading, lube in dies and smoke for the cost savings to mean enough for me to go back to lead. Also had issues with LSWC with feeding. Currently running a 16lb spring, but might go to 14lb if I move to 185 or 200gr. Please let me know make and weight you are shooting. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom

It will just boil down to what you like the most! Buy some of each weight and see what you like shooting the most. Each will have a different feel to it, and all other things being equal - that the bullets feed and cycle your pistol 100% - pick the one that feels best in your hand.

Personally, I prefer how a 230g feels over a 185g, but like I said, everyone's different so find what works for you.

I normally shoot a 230 gr round nose over Titegroup.

However, I am moving away from RN in my .45's and going to solid base bullets.

In the future I will be using Zero 230 HP's or MG 200.

I need to do more testing to see which one performs best in each of my guns.

I really like the Montana Gold 200 gr bullet.

It is very accurate in preliminary testing.

I like the way it punches a big clean hole in the targets.

They are really easy to see (and to score).

Tony

Well, I guess the majority are shooting 230gr over clays so there really isn't any reason to change. I like the 230gr Zero but they are getting harder and harder to get. Might just have to order some Montana Gold and get a couple thousand 55gr fmj in .223 as well. Thanks for all the input

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
I started with 230 gr. and tried 185s and 200s. I am back to 230 gr Precision RN Black bullets over Clays powder. No leading in barrel. 12.5 lb spring with a shok buff @171 PF.

What powder charge and OAL? Thanks.

I was using a 230 Masterblaster with 3.9 Clays but they went out of business. I bought some Precisions but am unsure if I need to change the charge.

Edited by 71Commander

I also use 230gr Berrys in my S&W 1911. I've chrono'd a bunch of Clays loads... 3.8 is a nice feeling load but isn't close to making PF in my gun. I think you'd need somewhere around 4.1-4.2gr for PF.

I like a 200gr moly SWC with an 18lb. spring. SWC profile does need a gun and magazine tuned for it but when that's done the SWC makes a nice cookie cutter hole and has a light snappy recoil impulse. Moly bullets definetly leads less too in my .45 barrel.

Well, I guess the majority are shooting 230gr over clays so there really isn't any reason to change.

While Clays works well, Solo 1000 smokes noticeably less, even with cast bullets. 4.7 grains of S1000 was 1 fps away from my 3.9 grains of Clays load (747 vs. 748 fps, under a 230 grain RNL) in my M&P. I need to bump up the load one or two tenths, since it doesn't make a 170 PF from my M22. Yeah, I'm lazy - five .45s, one load. :)