Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc In Movies?

Enough about Rhino's problems. There's a movie with Minnie Driver in it and I haven't seen it?

If you want a real hoot over proto-IPSC in a movie, check the second or third Dirty Harry movie. The "competition" going through the city street is so bad it's funny.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms. Minnie Driver is in the new movie, "Ella Enchanted" as well. The star, of course, is the lovely and delightful Miss Ann Hathaway, a mere 21 years old but elegant beyond her years.

Careful --- the other Ann will get jealous when she learns that you're appreciating a younger Anne....

And Ann obviously shoots.... :P:P:lol:

• 1 month later...
Not an IPSC movie, but Jim Zubiena performed a Mozambique drill on an episode of Miami Vice.  Very convincing as well, as he used to shoot with the Soutwest Pistol League in California.

I have that episode on tape (Calderone's Return) and that clip is worthy of being studied in slow motion. It almost looks too fast to be real.

The one DVD I've seen had both working subtitles and functional extras of the HKPSA teaching the actors to shoot.

A bit of trivia about the making of "Double Tap". Firstly some of the guys who trained the actors to use IPSC guns were members of the HKPSA, but their involvement with the movie was in a personal capacity - their participation was not endorsed by the HKPSA (I was Regional Director at the time).

Secondly the Producers contacted me and asked if IPSC HQ would endorse the film, so I asked them to send me a synopsis, which basically said "A cop IPSC shooter goes crazy, the rest of the Police can't outshoot him, so they recruit other IPSC shooters (as officially santioned hit men) to take him out".

I thanked them for inviting us to endorse the film, but I gracefully declined, for reasons which should be obvious :wacko:

BTW, as far as I know, the movie was only released as a VCD - not a DVD.

Not an IPSC movie, but Jim Zubiena performed a Mozambique drill on an episode of Miami Vice.  Very convincing as well, as he used to shoot with the Soutwest Pistol League in California.

That particular clip was sweet!

Jimmy Caan studied with Jeff Cooper (against his wishes, I remember reading somewhere that he thought he as a "nazi") before filming "Thief." Which is an all time favorite of mine. But the coolest part is the credits list "Guns by Hoage." All not IPSC, the gunhandling scenes are still pretty cool.

be

Interesting fallout from that movie - a number of locksmiths were upset at the depiciton of a burning bar to breech a safe as being too realistic and educational - as if someone with the inclination to launch such a serious box attack would need the movies for an education.

The one DVD I've seen had both working subtitles and functional extras of the HKPSA teaching the actors to shoot.

A bit of trivia about the making of "Double Tap". Firstly some of the guys who trained the actors to use IPSC guns were members of the HKPSA, but their involvement with the movie was in a personal capacity - their participation was not endorsed by the HKPSA (I was Regional Director at the time).

BTW, as far as I know, the movie was only released as a VCD - not a DVD.

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure the one I saw was a DVD, and not an obvious copy. I'll have to check again if I get a chance.

The subtitling was fun. FYI, "Blast Radius" is used instead of "Kinetic Energy". That took a while to figure out.

I bought mine from lovelycaca on ebay, she had a few others. It was $3.55 plus $6.00 for shipping. Look her up.

It does have english subtitles and addtional scenes.

• 5 months later...

I just watched Double Tap last night with another 10 IPSC shooters here in Brazil and we are extremely concerned if the movie comes to the attention of the anti-gun organizations. It almost appears that an anti-gun organization paid for the movie production to use it as a weapon to prohibit guns throughout the world. Here in Brazil there is a big lobby supported by international organizations to confiscate all hand guns, i.e. Great Britain, Australia, etc... We as practical shooters would be seen as a reason for confiscating all handguns here in Brasil. What is more alarming is the fact that USPSA and IPSC logos appear in the movie and I belive neither association did anything about it. The movie has been out for many years and until now no political repercusion has come out of it as far as I know but the possibility of its negative use is disturbing.

As an IPSC shooter, the movie was entertaining and I would advise ROs to think twice about DQing someone...just kidding!!!

Alex Chang - DVC

What is more alarming is the fact that USPSA and IPSC logos appear in the movie and I belive neither association did anything about it.

Alarming?? What do you think we should have done about it?

If I recall correctly, Coca-Cola logos were also visible in the movie. Should they have done something too?

Coke is a product while we are a private organization. We could and should sue for tradename infringement and defamation.

Product placement in movies is now a multimillion dollar business. COmpanies actually pay to get placed. Notice that until recentlly there were no name brands visible, the actor held the beer can so you couldn't read the label.

Jim Norman

Coke is a product while we are a private organization.

Um, Coke® is a product of The Coca-Cola Company, an organisation.

We could and should sue for tradename infringement and defamation.

Have you actually seen the movie or are you just stalking me again (rhetorical question)? :lol:

How exactly was there a tradename infringement? How exactly were we defamed?

Product placement in movies is now a multimillion dollar business. COmpanies actually pay to get placed. Notice that until recentlly there were no name brands visible, the actor held the beer can so you couldn't read the label.

True, but IPSC got placement for free, and the HKPSA had a huge surge in membership enquires as a result, after the movie was publicly screened. We didn't endorse the movie, so we can't be accused of condoning what was depicted, however we instantly became a more prominent organisation.

• 1 month later...

I'm sitting here tonight at home, reading the forums, with my lovely wife watching TV next to me. All of a sudden, I hear "Shooter ready? Stand by....beeeeep.....bambam bamdebambam...bam bam....If finished, unload and show clear....etc."

She's watching a Chinese language broadcast TV drama made and set in HK, with a CSI type theme. These two rivals on the HK Police Force are playing out their rivalry in a pistol match. The match is a bizarre mix of IPSC, IDPA and the Steel Challenge. The stages were scored on a electronic scoreboard in seconds. The targets were IDPA targets, but the guns were stock Berettas and HK's shot out of race holsters, and the tactics were IPSC run and gun (well, not completely - I've never seen a stage where you fling yourself full length onto a couch and shoot prone). There was a man on man shoot off using steel plates, no overlapping poppers, though.

It was fascinating to watch the targets as they were being shot - apparently the bullets fly AROUND the targets and then punched through from behind, then politely fall down on the concrete range before hitting the shooter. (I'm sure that was the case, because I could see that this range is surrounded on all sides by buildings and grandstands full of spectators who were cheering for their favorites.) The bullets were so polite that they didn't even make any marks on the steel as they knocked them down.

The actors apparently had gotten some coaching. No teacup holds. Their gun handling and movement were a bit awkward but was appropriate. They followed the range commands to the letter.

I was left wondering whether I should be pleased, proud, amused, aghast or horrified.

There are two "Double Tap" movies - the Hong Kong one from about 2000, and the US one staring Heather Locklear from 1997. They are not different versions of the same moving, but different movies sharing the same title. The US Double Tap is a mediocre cops & drug dealers movie without any particular reerence to IPSC unless you count one comment about the "double tap" technique.

A bunch of watched the entire movie in a RV at the Area 7 Championship a number of years ago, and spent the entire time waiting for the IPSC part. We were disappointed.

Guest Larry Cazes
Chinese language broadcast TV drama made and set in HK, with a CSI type theme

Kevin, sounds like a great late night watch! Channel and time?

• 1 month later...

I saw another Para-Ordnance in the movies yesterday!

In "Assault on Precinct 13," Ethan Hawke was sporting a Para-Ordnance P14.45 LDA stainless. The movie was better left for DVD rental, and I loathe Ethan Hawke, but seeing a cool gun is always fun. They showed the end of the barrel a few times and it looked HUGE!

Also, now out on DVD ... "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" ... Milla Jovovich sports (among other ordnance) a couple of P14.45 Limited pistolas, which she naturally shoots with both hands at the same time (thank you John Woo!). Of course, she is a mutant in the story, so it's possible she had individual sight pictures with each eye at the same time!

Precision40

The Mozambique drill in the Miami vice episode was fast, but the actor was a very proficient shooter, Jim Zubiena (sp) who used to shoot with Dalton, Fitchman, et al at the SWPL....I for one, do not doubt the ability of Jim to pull off that drill as it appeared on the clip...

Maybe Benos could give us some insight here...He probably knew Jim better than anyone else here...How about it BE???? ;)