Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Dremel

Jeff686

I've been having some trouble with my safety. I've got a new Tanfoglio Gold Team. The 'standard' safety is extended out and down. Additionally, it is offset below the pin (axis of rotation). I have a short thumb, and it rides on the safety, touching only the rear half. Pushing forward on the bottom rear of the safety tends to rotate it upward, which is what would happen as I was shooting. If I had a longer thumb, it would rest more on top of the safety, keeping it off.

So, I decided to fix the problem. I've been using a slow and underpowered cordless Dremel type tool. I haven't had much luck with it, making things ugly and ragged. Today I broke down and spent $30 on a real AC powered Dremel. Whoa, baby, now we're cutting!

Using a combination of cutting wheels, stones, polish, and a wire brush, I fixed my safety. I cut, trimmed, polished, and brushed the unwanted part. I am very happy with the results, except the final finish. The rest of the safety is matte and brushed. After polishing, I tried to brush it to match, but couldn't get decent brush marks. I probably need a different wire brush with more bite.

Pics:

post-985-1211787303.jpg

post-985-1211787338.jpg

You are now in possession of the most useful/dangerous tool in your shop. :D

Nice work on that safety!

Thanks!

Now I keep looking around the shop, saying "What can I use it on next?"

I've resisted the temptation so far.

If I had known how much better then AC powered ones are, I would have thrown away that cordless one years ago!!

Jeff, welcome aboard. Having a real plug-in rotary tool available will open up a whole world of wonderful opportunities to cut and grind on things!! :)

There is no problem with a pistol that a dremel can't make worse. Good luck.