Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Memory Stages

I continue to struggle with memory stages.

I have always been an "array" shooter, and when the same target is engageable from multiple positions it throws me off a little.

I think this is related to my tendency to want to be in position to shoot (move, shoot, move, shoot) as opposed to always shooting regardless of position. I have designed some new drills and will have this corrected soon.

Anybody have any good tricks for memory stages? Or is just experience?

SA

Excellent question Steve, I can't wait to see some good tips from some forum members. The VA Blast was tricky as hell wasn't it? I asked one shooter on my squad how he did it so easily and he said that on the confusing areas of a stage he programmed how many targets to shoot from a position ( p1-2, p3-3, p4-2,...). I think experience helped him as well. I tried to visualize what I would see from each position instead of memorizing a strict program.

Congratulations on your finish in the VA Blast and making Master. I can see your practice regimen is paying off and you are now analyzing your performance from the match and are taking steps to correct any perceived deficiencies

Steve,

As a production shooter, it's easier. Shoot a target twice and most likely I'll have to do an extra reload (bad!) or will have totally missed a target (WORSE!) I usually try to program reloads --- as in 8, 10, 6, 8 or so and try to plan my way through the stage so that I shoot targets as they appear, preferably while I'm still moving. Sometimes on stages where everyone's gotta move the same way --- like down the long hallway on that 30 yard assault course in the mud pit ---- I'll try to shoot all the left targets early and then concentrate on the right side for a while. Whatever you decide has to seem logical to you when you move through the course....

I had a lot of trouble with these for awhile a still do occasionally..

but what works for me..

find all the targets...be sure of the round count..I look at the course description, then walk the targets to be sure I see all of them and verify the round count.

Then I look for all the targets that can be shot from mulitple positions to mark them in my mind. Don;t want to shoot a target too many times..

Then I try and see all the different ways to engage the targets. Try to find the most natural way with the least movement on my part. I try and find markers in the stage to signal targets in my mind.

Then I choreograph the stage..slowly, usually twice to see bad spots. then a little faster to commit to memory..

I will do this in my mind while others shoot and really work through it on my walkthroughs...

The key to me, is not to get distracted when I am forming this my mind..if someone wants to talk to me..I will ask them to wait till I get through my entire walk through..so I do not have a mental break in the middle of my mental run through..

anyway.. the key for me is focus on what I am doing, minimize the distractions ( people chit chating with me during the process). and completing the walkthrough in its entirety..

I hope that helps a little.

(pretending the world is black and white for a moment...)

I fail to see the shooting challenge offered by memory stages...can somebody convince me they are worth having in a match?

Here are a couple of (quick) negatives:

• The locals have a home-court advantage.
  • The shooters that shoot later in the squad have an advantage.

I find all stages are "memory" stages, or is it my "Senior Division" mind? I try to program per eerw's plan. What I have learned is that once I've got my plan figured out, don't change it even if you see another plan that seems a little faster.

I fail to see the shooting challenge offered by memory stages...can somebody convince me they are worth having in a match?

Flex,

I think most memory stages don't start out as memory tests they just end up that way. The course designer really is trying for a multiple choice freestyle stage, but by the time all the walls, ports, no shoots and such are added to prevent shoot thru's and to force the guys with 30 round big sticks to move and reload, Team Alziheimer is in trouble.

Then there are those stages where the course designer thought up some cute gimmick like pick a coloured poker chip to decide shoot/no shoot targets, or flip a coin, or etc... Now you've got to memorize 2, 3 or 4 different courses of fire. Of course the luck of the draw always helps because one colour/flip/etc will have a decided advantage. Even though I've always finished well on these stages I really hate them.

Just remember to take your Giecko Dildo, or whatever that memory stuff is called, 'cause I forget.

Memory stages always get me because I "Think" about them too much and then forget something.

The only time I ever get away clean on real hard memory stages is when I have the time to walk it through over, and over. This will commit it to memory well enough to then allow me to flow through it without thinking about engagement sequence. I look for visual cues that don't rely on counting targets, then drill it in with reps. It works better for me than counting, or running a mental checklist.

I think good stage design should allow a shooter to flow through without target checklists, or the use of memorization techniques. Not sure what this actually takes in specifics, but I sure recognize it when I see it.

Regards,

I find all stages are "memory" stages, or is it my "Senior Division" mind? I try to program per eerw's plan. What I have learned is that once I've got my plan figured out, don't change it even if you see another plan that seems a little faster.

Bill,

You are sooooo right. The only stage I had difficulty with at A4 this year, I changed the plan once I had it set. Missed one target entirely. Ouch! :(

Liota

hehe...I like them....

Our sport is a lot of things to a lot of different people. If we just wanted to stand and hose, then that's all there would be. To one degree or another, any stage with props is a "memory" stage.

You'll be fine, Steve...the more you see them the less troublesome they become.