Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fastest reload

brospizza

Love this stuff. I'm curious about the concerns/possibilities of shooting a match the way you train. I fully agree with Jake's analogies and methods to get faster... however I do find that when it comes to match time many times I shoot as I practice... fast and not seeing enough. Is there a good way to become more disciplined so this stuff doesn't happen in matches? I have a tough time "regulating" my performances in these situations...

Desire for a certain quality of sight picture will regulate your speed automatically.

Oh, and for the record, 1.46sec fastest, consistent no-aim is 1.55 or so. Real shooting around 1.8, match shooting around 2.00.

H.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this stuff. I'm curious about the concerns/possibilities of shooting a match the way you train. I fully agree with Jake's analogies and methods to get faster... however I do find that when it comes to match time many times I shoot as I practice... fast and not seeing enough. Is there a good way to become more disciplined so this stuff doesn't happen in matches? I have a tough time "regulating" my performances in these situations...

The cure for that is experience. You need to be able to control what bleeds over on match day. The best way I've found to do that is practice a lot and shoot as many matches as you can.

The cure for that is experience. You need to be able to control what bleeds over on match day. The best way I've found to do that is practice a lot and shoot as many matches as you can.

I hear you. Been doing that but it's approaching the "off" season so it may be mostly practice for a while. In practice I occasionally go in the "balls to the wall" mode and get surprised at how fast I can do things... In matches I don't fall into those habits but sometimes I push too much and don't "see" bad hits or an occasional Mike or two. But honestly- it's the going fast that is the funnest!

You cannot learn what it takes to shoot fast by shooting at a slow or comfortable pace.

I usually lurk around here and search for what I need, but I have to say thank you Jake. I needed to hear that. I've become very stable with my practice pace and it's comfortable to get good hits at that speed. No surprise, I'm sure, it's my match pace as well. I need to push harder and learn from where I fail.

You cannot learn what it takes to shoot fast by shooting at a slow or comfortable pace.

I usually lurk around here and search for what I need, but I have to say thank you Jake. I needed to hear that. I've become very stable with my practice pace and it's comfortable to get good hits at that speed. No surprise, I'm sure, it's my match pace as well. I need to push harder and learn from where I fail.

I can't remember which one of Matt Burkett's videos I was watching but he said something very similar - that you really need to push yourself in practice so that when you get to a match and go 80 to 90% you're still fully in control but pushing your limits.

Desire for a certain quality of sight picture will regulate your speed automatically.

Well said! cool.gif

I like that too. I didn't practice "pushing" so much. What I did practice was learning what I needed to see to call and hit each target as quickly as possible. Then I just always did that.

be

• 5 months later...

i saw a video of a guy who did a reload and then he caught the magazine that fell from the gun.

has anyone else seen this, if so can someone please tell me where to find it please.

BTW my fastest reload would probably be about .90.

Thanks

i saw a video of a guy who did a reload and then he caught the magazine that fell from the gun.

has anyone else seen this, if so can someone please tell me where to find it please.

BTW my fastest reload would probably be about .90.

Thanks

I have seen two videos of this. Jake Devitta(sp)and JJ Racazza. Jake's may be on his website. JJ's used to be on Limcat's website, but I believe it is gone now.

Hmmm, I would love to see anybody's video that is shot to shot with a reload in between under a second. I'm not saying it can't be done I just want to see something like that as its impressive! :cheers:

Not shot to shot. Mag out mag in under 1. From the holster fire 1 reload fire 1 in about 2.5 to 3 seconds. I know for sure I can do this with a sig p229 in .357 sig from a leather thumb break holster in under 4.

I know I saw a video and it wasn't jj I will check the other guy. It was pretty cool and seemed to be real

Hmmm, I would love to see anybody's video that is shot to shot with a reload in between under a second. I'm not saying it can't be done I just want to see something like that as its impressive! :cheers:

There has been a couple of vids already posted. I assumed from watching your video, that you would have a shot to shot under 1 sec on video

anyways, here's mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPClXuOqls&feature=channel_video_title

Travis has an AMU vid on YoueTube on a shot, load, shot on the same popper before it falls, with a Glock if I recall correctly.

Me too.

This video is long but I'm the first shooter. The total time was 6.93 The reload is about 1 but unfortunately I didn't check the clock. Its easier to bust out those really fast reloads in practice but its nice to do a good one on in a match when it counts. This was CM99-58 which has been removed from the database (we didn't check before setting it up). Its still on the Ohio page and according to that the run was good for 91+ percent. Is there anyway to find out the splits from this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0rcFKPKKM

Travis has an AMU vid on YoueTube on a shot, load, shot on the same popper before it falls, with a Glock if I recall correctly.

I thought this was limited to us humans, because I'm still not sure what planet TT is from :bow:

Well it took all winter of dry firing, but here is my version, It worked out to a .61 first shot, and a .95 reload . Of course this is just a 3 yard target, but they were both A's. I must have tried this a million times last year, but never got faster then a 1.3. Mags full of dummy rounds over the winter made the difference.

Now to see it done with a single stack.
I watched Ron Avery put several of the draw-shoot-reload-shoot drills back to back in under 2 seconds with a single stack. He made it look boring. When I was shooting a single stack in L10 I could break the one second reload barrier on occasion. I'll hunt around for some video. Edited by Ron Ankeny

Well it took all winter of dry firing, but here is my version, It worked out to a .61 first shot, and a .95 reload . Of course this is just a 3 yard target, but they were both A's. I must have tried this a million times last year, but never got faster then a 1.3. Mags full of dummy rounds over the winter made the difference.

Nicely done!

I used to run a dry-fire drill like that...working my way down to a 1.55 PAR time. A number of those and the tension goes up.

Good stuff !!

cool.gif