Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Troubles

megaman

i picked up a sti eagle 6.0 with a unique slide and all the other goodies to make it a 6" edge in essence several months ago. however after several hundred rounds ~ 500 (reloads and factory) later the gun stops shooting. after a quick diagnosing i found the back of the firing pin flattened :o . upset, i sent it back to the company i bought it from (DP) and had them replace the pin and place a lighter hammer. all is well for a while and at a big match for me it crapped out again! :angry: talking to a few other shoots they gave me some hypothesis' for this recurrent nightmare. some said it was a crappy pin in the first place and suggested i get another pin with a beveled end to prevent another incident, another thought it was the small rifle primers in my reloads, but i shot with only factory ammo at this match and put less than 200 of my own loads before hand, others than thought my firing pin spring was the culprit, "too heavy" or "too long". i'm lost, can anybody help me out. this event cause my to drop a stage and ruined my concentration during the second day at the match.

I would say the only reason a firing pin would flatten out on the hammer end would be that the pin was not hardened properly. If you have the same problem with another pin from the same company, I would say they have a problem with an entire batch of pins that were not hardened properly. I'd try a different brand pin.

be

Is it even possible to have a firing pin that's long enough that you're just smashing it between the hammer and the primer? That's very weird. I can't believe a pin is that soft. You'd think even one turned out of mild steel wouldn't mushroom after 200 rounds.

Guest bulm5
i picked up a sti eagle 6.0 with a unique slide and all the other goodies to make it a 6" edge in essence several months ago. however after several hundred rounds ~ 500 (reloads and factory) later the gun stops shooting. after a quick diagnosing i found the back of the firing pin flattened :o . upset, i sent it back to the company i bought it from (DP) and had them replace the pin and place a lighter hammer. all is well for a while and at a big match for me it crapped out again! :angry: talking to a few other shoots they gave me some hypothesis' for this recurrent nightmare. some said it was a crappy pin in the first place and suggested i get another pin with a beveled end to prevent another incident, another thought it was the small rifle primers in my reloads, but i shot with only factory ammo at this match and put less than 200 of my own loads before hand, others than thought my firing pin spring was the culprit, "too heavy" or "too long". i'm lost, can anybody help me out. this event cause my to drop a stage and ruined my concentration during the second day at the match.

or they have put a titanium firing pin instead of steel. This happened to my Friends factory STI. His didn't stop shooting since he noticed it prior to it being a problem. Yup, the back of his firing was begining to flatten.

I agree with briane. I use a colt 38 super firing pin on my svi and have no problems whatsoever. I also have a hardcore firing pin in 45 and after 15000 rounds it still looks the same and performs without a hitch.

Titanium is too soft for shooting. I only use titanium hammer struts

I use a STI titanium firing pin in my wifes limited gun. It has well over 10,000 rounds through it and shows no signs of wear. I'd try a different brand firing pin and see if that cures it.

i picked up a sti titanium firing pin today a my local gun supply shop. :mellow: this one has a bevel at the end and the package looks older so i would imagine it's from a different batch from the bogus 2 i got :huh: . there's a match this sunday to try out my new firing pin, hopefully no problems. :unsure: