Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Hegemony

OK all,

Not my intent to start some kind of flame-flinging-fest, but I have to ask.

I've now seen and briefly used a couple of Dillon reloading presses, and I can see that they are good quality machines.

I also saw an add for a Lee Pro 2000 press that offered a case feeding system, and an optional automatic bullet feeding system, and the thing was like, $200.  

Clearly the Dillon's are good, but there are some posts about problems with them here.  Also, some people here use Lee dies in their Dillons, by preference, so it's not clear that Lee products are crap.  

Does anyone actually have any good reason to feel that Lee's reloading presses are inferior, or is it simply that Dillon's are so good, and have such a good reputation, that no one bothers to try any other brand?

Thanks for your comments,

DogmaDog

Lots of folks load on Lee's successfully.  As a low-volume way to introduce yourself to reloading, a Lee might be an OK choice.  Over the long haul, the Dillon's better construction and warranty will serve more reliably.  

Keep in mind, Lee's automatic feed systems are still manually loaded, so any real time savings by such devices are really nil.  

I think Dillon is like Glock in a way. The presses are reliable. They're plenty accurate. They're not that expensive (no really, considering the quality). They're extremely easy in use and maintenance. They have A LIFETIME NO BS WARRANTY (wish Glocks had that). They just have the best of all worlds.

As I've mentioned in previous thread about single stagevs. progressive, I've found my Dillon measures to be a little sloppy, but still accurate enough. As far as measures go, I really like the uniflow from RCBS.

The Lee presses I've experienced wer not very reliable and were sh!tty to reload on. That's the last thing you want when you're reloading, worry if you press will ALLOW you to load.

(Edited by spook at 4:25 pm on Jan. 14, 2003)

I think where the Dillon wins out is in the customer service, the service is awesome. Also, look at the resale value on a Dillon. I like my Dillon but that doesn't mean I think the Lee is inferior. I paid a bunch of money to be able to reload 1200-1400 rounds an hour because I hate reloading and the less time I spend time doing it the better. The Dillon is by no means perfect it can even be finicky at times, if your Lee works for you then that's all you need.

People know the service/quality that they will get with Dillon, that is why I think people are so loyal to them and don't try other presses once they have had one.

The 1911/2011 is the perfect shooting platform, but some people shoot Glocks right? (Just kidding)

As long as you are having fun does it really matter the brand/model/type/label, personally, I think not.

I have a lee 1000 and a Dillon 550, and I prefer to load on the Dillon.  That said when the lee is clean and working, I can load 50 to 100 more round per hour on the lee, but it is kind of finicky, and has a few design deficiencies.  The Dillon is more reliable, but I have had problems with it as well (f'ing primers).  Try to get some one from Lee on the phone ... good luck, you can drop them an email then wait a day or two for a reply.  All replacement parts are going to cost you form Lee (I think they have a three year warranty, but my stuff is older than that).  Dillon you call and the person walks you through the trouble and sends you free replacement parts, which usually arrive two days latter.

I taught myself to load on the lee, and its served well, I keep it around to load a little plinking ammo for my revolver.

like a lot of people i started on a lee turret, good press just slow. so i got a 1000. it's fast and worked great then the priming system went out of wack . those little plastic parts break at the worst time. then it wouldn't index right filpped primers, on and on and on... well you know the rest. got a 650 and have loaded 100 times as much not a tenth of the problems.

I have recommended Lee single stages on this site as an inexpensive way to learn reloading one step at a time. I use Lee's FCD die in by Dillon 650.  But when it comes to the Lee progressive vs Dillon, well, Dillon simply builds a better mousetrap and backs it up w/ a far superior warranty & customer service IMHO.

Yah, I like that light blue color better too...oh, you said covers... I like my 650 with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Never tried a Lee press, 90% of the advice I got from experienced loaders was to just get the best and it will save money in the long run. Pretty good advise so far. What's a hegemony anyway?

The one thing I'll add to the discussion is that occasionally some of the "B" string presses come up for sale on bulletin boards or at gun shows.  For the right price, the Lee may just be the ticket.  I'll bet you could pick up the whole shebang for under a c-note.  Then, it would probably make some sense.  I bought a MEC shotshell reloader on that principle.  It's a hunk of crap and I know it, but the price was right and it works well enough to get the job done for now.

Twix,

Hegemony is sort of like "unquestioned rulership" in the sense I used it.  

The dictionary website says "preponderant influence or authority over others: DOMINATION"

From the Greek "Hegemon" = "Leader", but I also think it connotes tyrany to some extent.

Anyway, I'm not actually considering a press other than Dillon...it's just that everyone says to get nothing else, but no one really has had anything bad to say about Dillon's competitors.  

Thanks for your comments, all!  

DogmaDog

i have loaded on a Dillon 300 (yes a 300), lee 1000,lee progresive, lee loadmaster, Hornady Projector and the King, the Dillon 1050.  

i loaded over 50k rds on the lee progressive. finicky but cheap. i  bought the lee loadmaster to load 45acp on as i am no keen on changing my 1050 over from 9x23.  

i loaded less than 2k rds on the loadmaster(?) when the shell plate carrier failed, cracking around the ram, tilting the entire shell plate/carrier assembly!  i trashed the press and bought another Dillon!

enough said

DVC

SharonAnne L2387

One other thing about Dillon:  they actively support the shooting sports, particularly the practical/action ones.  Dillon has sponsored nearly every major match that I've been to whereas nary a peep from RCBS, Hornady, or Lee.  I've never seen any other maker donate some much as a die. That in and of itself justifies support for Dillon.  Plus their stuff is the best!

I started on a Rockchucker when I was 15. After loading a couple of thousand rounds I tried out an older friends Dillon.  Trust me, after going from a single stage to a Dillon life cannot get much better.The sdb (or any Dillon) is hard to compete with considering the cost versus the quality of ammo you will be able to produce and the legendary warranty.