Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open class budget build?

colbyjack

can a guy build a open class gun a a budget? i know the possibalitys are endless, but was wondering if i could build one without breaking the bank?

ive read if one uses a .45 acp the comps dont work is that true?

whats a good start to building a budget open gun? what frame, slide barell, comp...... think one could build one for under $2k and the goal would be $1200/$1500 but not sure if its possible. i dont know anything bout open guns. any info would help thanks. -chris

can a guy build a open class gun a a budget? i know the possibalitys are endless, but was wondering if i could build one without breaking the bank?

ive read if one uses a .45 acp the comps dont work is that true?

whats a good start to building a budget open gun? what frame, slide barell, comp...... think one could build one for under $2k and the goal would be $1200/$1500 but not sure if its possible. i dont know anything bout open guns. any info would help thanks. -chris

Speaking as a guy who dosen't care for Glocks, I would have to say Glock. <_< . Do a search of the forums for open glock and you should find more info. Watch the classifieds for used guns also.

Welcome to the forums,

Chuck

You can do a Glock in that price range, but IMO it is like putting lipstick on a pig, it will still be a pig when you are done. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for Glock in general. Fine guns that run and run and run, when they are more or less left alone. To get a modified Glock to run takes someone that REALLY knows what they are doing or dumb luck. The guns I see with the most problems at matches are Glocks, and it blows my mind because out of all of the guns at the match they were probably the most reliable when new and unmolested.

Your best bet will be to buy a good used gun here or on the USPSA classifieds. There are some really nice guns that sell in the $2000-2500 range with mags.

:angry2: you haven't shot a SJC glock then :devil: The SJC convertible mount is a good way to test the waters and see if Open is for you. If you don't like it I am sure you could sell the mount and optic pretty easily.

I would recommend finding a good used open gun for sale as mentioned previously. You could build a single stack open gun as a few guys around me are using them but it will be almost impossible to be competitive at the upper levels due to capacity limitations. Plus, if you really love shooting open you prob. wouldn't get too much for the gun when it was time to sell it. The Glock idea could work so long as the gun will run.

Get yourself a credit card if possible and the gun. Pay as much as you can up front and then just pay the rest off. Most of these guns sell VERY quickly so if you bought a nicer one chances are you'll be able to flip it quickly with a 100% or close to return on your investment. However, once you go open you won't look back as it's just WAY too much fun.

Pete

Your best bet will be to buy a good used gun here or on the USPSA classifieds. There are some really nice guns that sell in the $2000-2500 range with mags.

+1

If you have a low budget AND you want a S_I open gun, then a "pre-owned" open is the way to go.

There are some excellent open guns for sale here and on USPSA on any given day.

If you just want to "test" the dark side, then you can throw together a less expensive Glock solution and hose em.

- good used open gun

- Glock open gun

- Caspian framed open gun

Going from scratch on a 1911 based platform...part alone are going to run right up to your budget. (red dot, optic mount, comp) You aren't into the magazines yet either. Gotta have a "race" holster to hold it too.

Just my .02 about a .45 comp gun (from experience). I had a single stack single port comp gun built yeeeears ago (Boy amI aging myself) and it worked the best with lite lead bullets (150-155 or so) loaded up above 175 PF. Shot very soft!

This is not practical now because the mag capacity is too low therefore you can't keep up with the "BIG STICK" guys.

Richard

PS: These lite .45 lead bullets are still available and make good minor/steel or plinking loads.

PPS: See if you can find a USPSA member or contact USPSA HQ for a reprint of an article in the last Front Sight Magazine showing "Budget Build" Glocks. Almost makes me want one. BTW there is a picture under the thread SJC Convertible Comp Mount, I might Have to Get One. showing said conversion.

Edited by chirpy

I am currently building one. Homeade reciever & comp, Caspian slide, C-More Serindipity, Cyl & Slide/EGW internals, Brown safeties, etc. When it's done I'll have about $1000 in the gun, about $1800 including mags, CR speed rig, and bbl lug cutter/tools. A friend with a C&R ordered all my parts at dealer cost. (Thanks again dude!)

With a fair amount of sweat equity, it can be done.

If you were to watch the classifieds alot and pick a part here and there and then get a reciever for around 325, you could probably get all the parts for around 1200-1400 depending. A quick breakdown

Sti frame 325 or so

slide in 38s 180-200

barrel and comp 300

parts kit to finish gun 300

magwell 25-100

cmore serendipity 225

holster belt and mag pouches 270

Mags 300

finding a gunsmith to put it together and be reasonable who knows what it would cost.

Finding a good used open gun under 2k is very doable but you will still need a belt and rig plus mags. If you search though I believe you could get into open for under 2k with ok equipment.

Don't bother with an Open gun in .45, they just don't have enough mag capacity to be competitive and they comps don't work as well....yes, they work, but nowhere near like they will in 9 or Super.

If it doesn't have to be an S_I, the most cost effective would probably be to build it on a Para frame. If you don't want to bother with that, find an EAA Witness Gold Team....they retail for under $1900 and I'm sure you could find one a couple hundred cheaper. After you add a scope and some mags you're probably be right around $2K.

There are some good deals on used Open S_I guns, but you're still going to need several hundred dollars worth of mags, so keeping it all under $2K is going to be tough as even bargains are going to be in the $1500+ range.

Sad truth, but Open tends to get expensive. R,

Tanfoglio Gold Team, ready to run outa the box.

Best bang for the buck!!

Shop around, and you'll get a low mileage 38 super with all the trimmings and mags for around $2K.

Also, I think one of the guys here had one built for a good price. Search BE.

Edited by Jeff686

Best bang for the buck is the EAA Gold Team. I can get the gun in my area new for about $1500. If you have a gunsmith that can do good work then you can also do a CZ open gun like mine. Gun plus parts for less than $1000 but this does not include gunsmith time. It shoots major 9 at a 172 pf which makes my reloading cheaper and mags are easily available for $40 or so. Do a search in the Open Gun Technical for CZ and you should find it. Or I can email you pics. If you like it then PM me and I will start you in the right direction.

If you were to watch the classifieds alot and pick a part here and there and then get a reciever for around 325, you could probably get all the parts for around 1200-1400 depending. A quick breakdown

Sti frame 325 or so

slide in 38s 180-200

barrel and comp 300

parts kit to finish gun 300

magwell 25-100

cmore serendipity 225

holster belt and mag pouches 270

Mags 300

finding a gunsmith to put it together and be reasonable who knows what it would cost.

Finding a good used open gun under 2k is very doable but you will still need a belt and rig plus mags. If you search though I believe you could get into open for under 2k with ok equipment.

Dont know him personally, but Gary Natale did an excellent job on my open gun and at a good price. Gan's Enterprise on the web.

thanks for all the info guys, i need to make up my mind what i want to do. hopefully everything will fall into place. -chris

It will. Take your time. I bought a pretty nice used 38SC gun with 3 mags for a smokin price. Easily within your alloted amount. I wanted a 9 gun and could have had it converted (barrel and comp) and still been within your budget. I decided I can't shoot good enough to impress anyone so my gun had to... lol!

Every now and again you can find deals on GunBroker too. A couple of months ago there was a .38 Super Open gun built on a Para frame with several mags that went for a little over $900.

Budget and Open in the same sentence???BTW I'd love to have an open CZ!

Linky to SP-01

Thanks for that link ChuckS.It looks like CZ is getting serious about having custom shop. This is very interesting.I wonder how hammered on a 75B could be before its no longer a candidate for a base 9 Major gun.I've got one that I gave a whopping $200 for,so I've probably got a little room for some mods...lol.I might just have to give those folks a call.

+1 on the Tanfoglio. + 2 on calling Henning.

Damn, that reminds me, I was supposed to order some parts today.

If you really wanted to go low budget, maybe a Witness Match (appox. $550) in 38 super. Have it taped so you can mount the optic of your choice.

The SJC Conversion is no pig or a cheetah for that matter. :) Just a great "rail accessory" for my Limited gun.

Very fun to shoot. Especially now that I use the SJC load recommendation. It's a secret. ;)

Costs...(remember, this is for a two division gun)

Used Gen3 G35 $450

Sevigny sights $55

4 Dawson Ext & Mags $140

Vanek GM trigger $225

CR Speed rig $240

SJC CCM w/sight $570

Under $1700 invested over a 2 year period.

Jim M

Edited by JimmyM