Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Tune your own mags

swandme

I am looking for detailed instructions on mag tuning for STI 140 & 170 38 Super Comp

and STI edge 40 140 's

Any pics , video. Specific specs anything and everything you can share would be great.

Thanks

SWandME

Dawson is coming out with a video on mag tuning. Check out his web site for info. I tuned all of my mags and so did a few freinds of mine. The 40s hold 20 in STI tubes and 21 in SV tubes and are legal. I used Gram's springs and followers and his base pads.

Dawson is coming out with a video on mag tuning. Check out his web site for info. I tuned all of my mags and so did a few freinds of mine. The 40s hold 20 in STI tubes and 21 in SV tubes and are legal. I used Gram's springs and followers and his base pads.

Hmm...I didn't see it under "Videos" but I'll check again.

Will it cover actually changing the internal dimensions of the tube??

It seems to me that there's 'tuning' as in selecting the right basepad, tweaking the follower, spring, polishing, etc., of which there's a plethora of information. With Dawson SNL+1 pads and *some* of my STI tubes and Grams spring/followers I can get 20 reloadable.

But there's the scary knowledge, dark-secret tuning, that seems to involve a die or somehow heating and reshaping tube. I'm not even sure if I knew how it was done, I could or would want to do it, or invest in the necessary setup.

I'm not a rep, nor do I benefit from sending people HSMITH's way. I just really like his work; as well as his contributions to the sport and these forums. As far as shooters connection shipping mags to S.Africa I have no idea. I don't work for SC. email them and see if they can or not. Can you possess high cap magazines? Are you willing to pay duties?

I know nothing about tuning mags but I'll agree with everyone on HSmith. Not only does he know how to tune a mag but he's great if you ever have any problems or questions.

Read everything you can in this forum, the above post is a great start. Measure twice, cut once. Here is what I did, helps if you have a buddy with a Bridgeport. Thanks Scott! :cheers:

post-11257-1211426888.jpg

post-11257-1211426900.jpg

You can tune your own mags, and can do a great job. The thing is knowing WHY things need to be adjusted and HOW to adjust those things. It is a LOT more involved than setting the width of the lips and poking some holes in the back. On a very good magazine there are adjustments you won't see and unless you have specialized equipment you won't be able to measure them. 99.9% of the guys that tell you to adjust the feed lips for instance don't know even a third of the whole story on WHY they are adjusting them.

I'll say this: If you have the time and finances to do it I encourage you to do it. Be aware that things can get away from you quickly and you will wreck some magazines early on, don't let it stop you, everyone has wrecked magazines. There is as much to knowing what NOT to do as there is knowing what you SHOULD do. As your knowledge grows you might even be able to salvage some of the casualties created in learning. Strive to make every magazine better than the last and within a couple hundred mags you will be turning out reasonable product. The last piece of advise I will offer on this subject is that you must look at EVERY single magazine as an individual, they are all different and the solution will depend on the problem at hand. Sometimes the differences are very subtle and the solution can be very different. The very reason for tuning magazines is the inconsistency of the tubes from the manufacturer.

Good Morning HoMIE

Can you tell me the measurement from the bottom of the mag to the center of the holes and aprox number of rounds

at that point.

Thanks

SWandME

I could give you the spacing on my mags, but it will probably not work out on your mags. After you get the body spacing where you think it should be, then start measuring for whatever round count you want. Like Howard says, treat each mag as an individual, I have messed up mags by trying to do what worked for one mag to another not really understanding how the metal is going to react or how it will affect the rounds, etc. I tinker around becasue I can. YMMV

Read everything you can in this forum, the above post is a great start. Measure twice, cut once. Here is what I did, helps if you have a buddy with a Bridgeport. Thanks Scott! :cheers:

post-11257-1211426888.jpg

post-11257-1211426900.jpg

Your welcome.

Bring them back over and we'll take some picts that do them justice in the light box.

Homie put a bunch of work into them and they came out great! Trying to do them right without the right tools would not be much fun.

Good Morning HoMIE

Can you tell me the measurement from the bottom of the mag to the center of the holes and aprox number of rounds

at that point.

Thanks

SWandME

Each mag will be a little different length, its why some will guage and some wont with the same basepads. There is a thread on here, I couldnt find it, but they recommended taking the internals out. Holding the mag upside down, and neatly stacking the number of rounds you want the hole to show in the mag. Measure how far down the round is from the bottom edge of the mag. Account for half of the round, then remeasure, and remeasure, and then confirm your measurement. I did four mags, got three dead on...one no so much! Or...Howard''s mags come with round count holes premeasured and drilled! :D