Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Port Filing?

calansiler

Calansiler, What I'm extracting from your post is that you personally did these ports on your pistol? If the burrs are too big then shooting them out might not be a safe move. You can try using one of the lead cleaner kit to knock the burrs out first (consist of fitted rubber plunger and brass patch), then use some abrasive type barrel cleaner to polish up the whole tube. It will be wise to push all the patches from lead out of the muzzle. I use a product from Remington which is mild abrasive but sure gets the polishing and cleaning done. Use of these types of product should be limited to cleaning severely fouled barrels or minor polishing, because it is abrasive and will erode the barrel. Josh

calansiler,

I hate to tell you this, but you're screwed. Gunsmiths (OK, *good* gunsmiths) don't deburr ports. They port so that there are no burrs to begin with.

Rarely are ports actually drilled into barrels. They are usually EDM'd - a process which leaves no burrs. Actual drilling to create a burr-free job (still not nearly as certain a process as EDM) takes very specialized equipment and specialized cutting tools. Even then, it's a dicey proposition.

You will not "file down" the burrs without access to a rifling machine. You will only roll them over, making little speed-bumps in your barrel the bullet to hit - not a good situation. It's going to spit lead and jackets everywhere.

E

And at $150, I'm afraid your gunsmith is screwing you (or more likely, doesn't want to do it.....)

I do it in a sinker EDM for $50. It only takes about an hour for setup and burn. Not that hard....

You could just shoot the burrs out  :o  I've seen Dawson put ports in a barrel with a milling machine, and know of others that did 'em with a drill press.

Yeah, it can be done - but generally with a very new, carbide end mill. swift.l.gif

A regular 60 degree drill bit is going to leave such a nasty burr that shooting it out is going to be the equivalent of shooting an obstructed barrel. My apologies for being a wet blanket.

calansiler,

You should really consider contacting BrianH about EDM'ing the holes a little larger. I had considered using an end mill to make the holes in my barrel, but after my local gunsmith was a little hesistant and I wanted to have some other stuff done that he couldn't do, I mailed the slide/barrel/comp to Brian and he took care of it including EDM'ing the holes in the barrel. Brian actually has a picture of it on his website. It's at the bottom of this page. His price is a third of what your gunsmith wanted to charge you, so with shipping and everything you will still get it done for $75 or so and you won't have to worry about burrs.

Good luck.