Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder for compensated 45

sb7979

Just wondering what others are using for powder in a compensated 45?  I have a Nowlin 3 port comp on a Springfield Hi Cap model and am trying to figure out the best loads to make it as effective as possible.  I tried some 152 grain SWCs today with 8.0 grains of Power Pistol and they chronographed around 1100fps, which would make major, but they were light enough that they didn't cycle the gun reliably.  Does this seem right?  Does anyone have any recommendations for powder, or loads for a comped 45?

Thanks

Scott

SB79,

I shot a bunch of stuff with an old .45 with a single port Clark comp. I always liked to pick the slowest stuff that would fill the case 80% or better and still burn clean. The last combination I used was 8.8 gr N340 with a 155 swc. That was for the "old major" maybe 7.5 to 8.0 would make new major. I used a12 or 13 lb spring with that. If you can't get it to cycle, you might try a lighter recoil spring. Let me know if you have any questions that I might help with.

RD

No experience with comps but hodgdons longshot has plenty of gas left over at the muzzle, it is relatively clean at max loads, never tried it for pf loads. Its listed as between aa#5 and aa#7 in burn rate. I am in the process of working on pf170 loads currently, but have not tested longshot yet. It works excellently in MAX loads for pins w/200 & 230 plated bullets.            Travis F.

Reddot and IPSChic are on the money; in an old Caspian single stack w/ comp. I tried N340 loads and it "worked" to the extent a comp will work on a .45. You could also try N350 or even N105 to get the comp working - and light bullets are the ticket.  You can find an ad for lightweight  Zinc bullets in the back of Shotgun News or try the Westcost 155 grn non-lead sintered plated bullets if the National Bullet 155SWCs are not to your liking.