Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 SPX

M ammo

I bought a 930 SPX and it never ran right. Wouldn't eject anything. Sold it at a gun shot for $200 less than I paid for it. Now I've got a Benelli Nova. No its not an auto but it will cycle everytime I want it to! I am steering clear of all Mossbergs from now on. I hope all of you have better luck than me with them. :cheers:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried to up the capacity on the 930SPX to 8+1 rather than the stock 7+1? If so, did it work and how did you accomplish it? I have a 930SPX that I have been trying to increase the capacity on, but I've been having problems getting it to work with the Choate 8 round tube extension. The added spring tension when full causes the shell stop to hang up. Increasing the spring tension on the shell stop causes the last round to not feed. Anyone else have these issues?

Has anyone tried to up the capacity on the 930SPX to 8+1 rather than the stock 7+1? If so, did it work and how did you accomplish it? I have a 930SPX that I have been trying to increase the capacity on, but I've been having problems getting it to work with the Choate 8 round tube extension. The added spring tension when full causes the shell stop to hang up. Increasing the spring tension on the shell stop causes the last round to not feed. Anyone else have these issues?

Yes, I've used the Choate +4, but had to trim the spring back to 34" long. The spring from Choate comes 39" long and yep, it puts too much pressure on the first round that will be fed from the tube. Just try it and cut it, that's what I wound up doing. That's the length that worked for me.

Yes, I've used the Choate +4, but had to trim the spring back to 34" long. The spring from Choate comes 39" long and yep, it puts too much pressure on the first round that will be fed from the tube. Just try it and cut it, that's what I wound up doing. That's the length that worked for me.

I tried trimming the spring....to the point that if round #1 will come out, round #8 will not. I'll play around with it again, but I couldn't get the springs to the point of feeding round #1 and round #8.

I just picked an SPX 930 up from Dick's in Arlington, TX for $619+tax. I bought a couple "value packs" 100ea for $28. They were 2 3/4",1 1/8oz shot. I took it out and it wouldn't cycle the rounds after about 16 shots.. (Gas port dirty already????) I ended up just shooting buck shot (flawlessly) but that is a little tooooo expensive for a day of fun.

Does anybody have this same problem? What "cheaper"/ bird shot ammo can I use? I just bought a clay pigeon launcher so I really need to find a decent load that isn't too expensive..

I have taken it apart now and cleaned it well. I will try the ammo again but would like to hear from you all on what ammo to run through it? Or, does the gun just need to be cleaned after just a few rounds in order to cycle the lighter loads?

Thanks,

Gary

Had the same experience with mine. Bought it, shot it. After 15 rounds it stopped cycling. Took every part out of it, including the recoil spring, cleaned everything, and lightly lubed everything with CLP. Now it shoots everything in all weather. I give the bolt rails a light lube with the CLP before a match.

I've had my 930 for almost a year and mine has run great with everything from bird(the cheap stuff), to buck, to slugs. I had to adjust the front sight quite a bit for the slugs to print on paper at 50yds. Mine has been great, but I've only put about 300-400 rounds through it. However I have a buddy who had one that would only cycle high-brass shells, he tried every type of less expensive ammo (and detail clean/oil) and nothing worked. The trigger guard on his ended up breaking off during a stage which required shots while prone on top of large rock. Yes that could possibly be operator error for leaning to hard on the rock, but I shot the same stage the same way with no issues. He traded/replaced it with an FN which seems to be a great gamers shotgun. It seems from reading this thread (and personal experience) the spx is a mixed bag. If yours will work with cheap birdshot, it's a good gun. If not, I would try to maybe trade it before it gets too much wear and you take a beating on the trade in value.

I've now taken my SPX out twice. Had a few problems with really low brass properly ejecting. A bigger problem that I've noted is trying a tactical reload and not fully inserting a shell into the tube. The shell is then "ghost loaded" and you are prevented from loading any more shells until you fire another round.

This is my first Auto loader. Is this common for any semi-automatic, or just the SPX? I know with more practice reloading, I can learn to avoid this, but it's annoying right now.