Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Distance To Sight In A Handgun

Gunmac

You sight them in? :surprise:

I've never had adjustable sights on a handgun. (Just one more thing for me to screw up.)

If it hits within an inch of my point of aim at 25-30 feet, when I do my part, I figure that's good enough in a defensive gun. My very limited experience in competition suggests that it's also good enough to hit the "A" scoring area or knock down a steel plate at most distances I've seen in a course of fire without even worrying about how high or low I need to aim to account for distance.

Tell me if I'm way off in thinking this way.

That one inch off could cause you a bunch of C's instead of A's or missed head shots.

Personally... I need to know exactly where my bullets should be hitting. I try to sight all my guns so that the POI is exactly where the top of my front sight it when it is perfectly centered in the rear notch at 50ft. If I don't hit my target I know it's me and not the gun. I don't hold different for different shots.

Sighting in at 50ft means closer shots with the same sight pic would be a tad low and beyond 50 ft to the longest distance I'd be shooting at they would be a tad high. Works for me.

Edited by lugnut