Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Group therapy

GmanCdp

been meaning to throw this on the table..ever thought of having SO's squad up with shooters at a match and run them thru on each stage as a group?? most stages require at least 2 SO's and some 3 to 4...that would cut down on having to worry about having enough SO's for the whole match and they could shoot it in 1 day along with the shooters...i just don't have enough SO's at times to run a match,and also i think it would save time if you were doing a state match with around 100 shooters and 5 bays,to set it up the week before..

For a club match, it's fine to have the SOs in the squad and the squad move as a group. BUT, the best run matches will make the effort to get the SOs together before the start and brief them on each stage, so you don't have each squad doing their own thing and interpreting fine points of the COF differently. And, no. It's not always possible to design the stage and write the COF description well enough to avoid that.

For a sanctioned match, it's just a bad idea to have the SOs rotate with the squad for the reasons cited above. SOs need to be dedicated to a stage so rules and COFs are enforced equally for all shooters.

ETA: spelling & grammar

Edited by Steve J

Agree with Steve.

Seen the descrepencies creep in, totally not intended, but it's tricky.

There's a wide varience in SO abilities/mindsets. And I've heard the MD give clear directions that two SO's interpret differently. Anyways, lots of reasons that the shooters will not get the same match.

If you are really hurting for SO's, you could mix the two ideas. Have a team of SO's be responsible for two stages and ferry shooters between .... but not it's getting complicated.

• 1 month later...