Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock barrel recrown?

lindertw

I have a PD trade-in G19 and the barrel muzzle looks a little rough (dings all around, between 6-9 o'clock is the worst).

Dsc03726.jpg

Dsc03729.jpg

Will a polygonal rifled barrel respond to a recrown like conventional rifled barrels do (i.e. improvement in accuracy)? Positive/negative inputs from those who've had it done is appreciated.

Edited by lindertw

Hi LindrTW

I am with Flex - how does it shoot?

Second, the 19 can be an accurate gun - mine would hold them all in the black at 25 yards on an NRA repair center (probably better off sandbags). But it need not be a tack-driver. What is your accuracy goal?

Third, the barrel is supposed to be tennifer-treated also. Re-crowning on a lathe, while possible, would seem to require at a minimum a carbide lathe bit. Thereafter, the crown would not be tennifer protected. An aftermarket barrel might be cheaper. And lets you shoot lead worry free.

Please let us know how the gun shoots with the current crown.

Edited by Carlos

I've never re-crowned a Glock barrel. Hmmm...

How does it shoot?

Thanks for the reply. Accuracy is sufficient - I can hold everything to a 3"x5" card at 15yds firing as quickly as I can acquire the sights. Fair for my skill level (or lack thereof).

I'll preface with this is my first Glock (transitioning from 1911's), and I've only put ~350 rounds downrange; so it's fair to say I'm still getting used to the trigger and the problem is most likely me, but... I was recently running a dot torture, and noticed that it was inconsistent at best while trying for best group.

I'll run another 500 rounds through her (and dry fire the snot out of it) and see if anything changes before I consider sending her off for a re-crown.

Edited by lindertw

Holding the 3x5 at 15y sounds decent.

What distance on that dot test? Sometimes shooting close can hurt, as the shooter tends to want to look for the holes in the target...which messes up the follow-through and shot.

I printed out the dot drill. We have a similar dot drill around here (likely found with a search in the drill section). I use one of our cardboard targets and draw the dots on with a sharpie. I use something like a pringles can (pop can, water bottle) as the template. With the idea of circles that are 2.5-3in in diameter.

thanks all for the replies.

Why not just get a new barrell for $80 ??? :huh:

I'm thrifty ;) A 'smith who worked on a Colt Commander for me only charges $20 to crown the muzzle. He did an excellent job on my 1911, so I trust he could cut the muzzle on this barrel and do a great job.

What distance on that dot test? Sometimes shooting close can hurt, as the shooter tends to want to look for the holes in the target...which messes up the follow-through and shot.

I ran the dot test at 3yds (I'll move it further back with a little more trigger time). Come to think of it, it's been a very long time since I've shot that close, so you may be onto why I hosed it.

I just got home from work and took another hard look at the barrel. The end is definitely dinged up, but the rifling is recessed a bit and I think it may be ok. It's dirty as all get out, so I'll give it a good scrubbing and see what I have after that.

Why not just get a new barrell for $80 ??? :huh:

I'm thrifty ;) A 'smith who worked on a Colt Commander for me only charges $20 to crown the muzzle. He did an excellent job on my 1911, so I trust he could cut the muzzle on this barrel and do a great job.

Thrifty works 2 ways .......... my way would be buy a new barrel for $80 - sell the old one for $60. Net cost of $20 B)

it looks like the crown is just dirty. and if you were truly thrifty, you would clean it first. my barrel looks just like that one and still shoots good and needs not to be recrowned.

ransom rest with good JHP factory ammo will tell the tale if it needs a crown job or a new barrel.

Harmon