Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Mulligan" - rest in peace, brother

AustinMike

Got a call last night from a buddy last night. A mutual friend passed away. His name was Rick, or "Mulligan" as we called him. We were all Honda Valkyrie riders a few years back and we rode around and raised hell together. You almost have to be a "biker", "rider", whatever you want to call us to understand the bond that gets formed between men and their machines on the road. Times change, situations change, we ride different machines now and we've kind of scattered away due to jobs and other life changes. Nevertheless, the friendship and brotherhood we shared on the road remains in our hearts.

Mulligan was a damn good guy. He had a sharp wit and was just fun to be around. I've got some great memories of our rides together. I remember one time we headed up to Dallas from Johnson City up Hwy 281. It was a terrible day to ride. The fog was thick when we left and we rode through drizzle and medium rain the whole way up. It was a little chilly (early December.) The trip was necessary to us because we promised to help as ride staff for a big annual toy run that one of our fellow biker brothers heads up. We couldn't let him or the kids down. It's that bond between bikers. We rode through the hellish weather, with Mulligan leading. I could barely see his tail light. We made damn good time and got there early. We talked with the guys up there about how scary that ride was at times. Someone said, "if it was that bad, why didn't you dummies just slow down a little?" Mulligan and I looked at each other and he just said the thought had just never occurred to him! I don't know why, but it was just hilarious at the time.

Another time, we were on a ride in east Texas. Me, Mulligan, and a guy we called Thumper. At this time, Mulligan was on a Harley. We gave him all kinds of shit about buying it and selling the Valkyrie. I had kidded him for weeks before that I'd ride behind him and pick up the parts that fell off! Well, this ride I was leading and I had to eat some crow. At about 75mph, the rear splines on my drive shaft gave way and my ride was over. While we waited for a tow, Mulligan said let's make the best of it ran ahead into a town about 20 miles up the road and brought back a heap of BBQ. We had a little picnic roadside and just laughed at the circumstances. A Harley playing rescue vehicle for a Honda, oh the agony!

There are many more stories. I'm deeply saddened at losing a great friend. He may be gone, but the memories won't ever die.