Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Simple Green in ultrasonic

UW Mitch

I know the ultrasonic isn't good for plastic guns. But I don't really understand what's in Simple Green that makes it "bad" compared to MPro7. I was using MPro7 in my ultrasonic, but it's so expensive, I was trying to filter it, etc etc. So then I switched to a very dilute solution of Simple Green. My process is:

Solution: a splash of Simple Green to about 32 oz water

-- "Soak" for about 5 minutes,

--Run the ultrasonic for about 3 minutes, then pull the parts.

--They're mostly clean, then I rinse by spraying MPro7 and cleaning like I used to before the ultrasonic (spraying MPro7, going at it with a toothbrush and qtips).

--Put some CLP on a Qtip or shop cloth, wipe parts down

If I understand the problem is that Simple Green strips the metal clean, does putting MPro7 cleaner on it afterward add anything back? If I'm relubing the metal afterwards, what's the harm?

~Mitch

Be aware that Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum with extended exposure. We used to use it wash aircraft, but don't any more! You can wash and rinse thoroughly, but leave no traces behind.

Edited by NMCOpen

Simple Green - NO ON ALUMINUM,rinse thoroughly.

Ultrasonic - NO ON PLASTIC GUNS

So I wonder if after I do my parts in the ultrasonic with the dilute simple green, if I do them again in very hot water as a rinse before my Mpro7 cleaning if that would help get the residual Simple Green out?

Edited by UW Mitch

I've been using Simple Green in a ratio of 1/10 with water, just like the L&R brand cleaning solution. It works better than the L&R. I have no plastic, but my trigger shoe is aluminum. I rinse thoroghly and then run the parts in the L&R Lubricating Solution for longer than I do in the Simple Green. Lovin' it so far.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

It all depends on the type of Simple Green you use.

Simple Green Extreme, for example, is anti-corrosive and designed specifically to be safe for metals and plastics. It's use by armories, including by the FBI.

Here's a link to it: http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

Just checked, and these FAQs also indicate that Extreme is safe for metals - including aluminum - and plastic: http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

Now, the other Simple Green formulations ARE corrosive and should NOT be used for, as previous posters have said, aluminum, plastics, etc.

I have a ultrasonic from harbor freight (same as the LEE), which also heats your liquid while it runs. I run all my gun parts through the ultra sonic with a solution of water and simple green, including aluminum parts, as well as the plastic grip from my STI. I just run the grip first before the water gets too hot. When I pull the parts out, the water is hot enough to evaporate almost instantly. I've yet to see any corrosion on aluminum parts, or any adverse affects on the plastic grip on my STI.

The one thing I notice using simple green, is it REALLY dries out the metal parts. After I run my parts through, I spray down with silicone spray and wipe excess off, then reassemble using my normal lubrication procedure.

I can't say that I was terribly impressed with Simple Green in my ultra sonic.I might not have had it mixed strong enough though.What I did find that worked was plain old Dawn dish soap.I've heard that Murphy's Oil Soap is supposed to work too.No clue how to mix it.My biggest revelation with this ultra sonic was to let the solution "de-gas" for a while before putting parts in.Heat is also good.I've only used it a couple of times so far and am really just in the experimental stage with it.-Mike

Simple Green is basically fine on all the guns and parts mentioned here so far. You DO have to be aware it will work too well on things with Loctite for example your sights! I will use the tub to place the slide top side above the water line to preserve my sights.

I also had a gun headed for the blast cabinet one time in the ultrasonic with simple green that mostly stripped a gunkote finish. Now this was not a problem for me because I was going to blast it anyway but think some people might not want this to happen.

But this set up is something I find myself using almost once a week. The parts I am concerned about, I remove after a minute or so and I use a brush on the parts to clean the grit off. Then I wipe down the excess liquid and air dry with my compressor hose.

YMMV

• 3 weeks later...