Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should There Be A Pro Class

Dowter

Skeeter, I'm back in the shop doing pretty good, still got some healing to do yet. I've been doing a little shooting but it's kinda tough, did shoot the Bianchi Cup 25th anniversary though. No running LOL. Thanks for asking.

This is an interesting disscussion, Is it possible to please everyone? I haven't been out much lately but I wonder if there's enough true Pro shooters to fill a class? One of the unique things about this sport has been to compete against the worlds best, try that with tennis or golf.

I have seen on disturbing trend over the years in shooting, there is a growing number who seem to resent the top shooters. I don't think it would be wise to cater to them.

I'm not sure if it is the shooters "in the trenches" resenting the top shooters, or resenting the unmitigated sucking up some match staff does to the top shooters.

I've been to matches were the "Gawd Squad" has range staff to RO, reset and paint their steel, and such-like so they don't get their little pidgies out of wack. If they were paying a few hundred bucks more in entry fees, that would be just fine...but since they paid the same entry fees as everyone else...

Of course, I've also watched the Gawd Squad come through my stage and race each other to tape targets. Fun stuff.

Good matches/match staff...and bad.

Alex

As a non-pro GM, I really hate the idea of creating yet another class or designation.

Even worse, I hate the idea of forcing me to pay more to compete in a match. I know that there are many better GMs than me out there. When I go to a big match, I know that there are a large group of GMs that I have almost no chance of beating. I still go to those matches even though I know I won't win. If you were to force me to pay more to shoot those matches, there would be one less GM attending.

I'd say there are enough classes. I shoot quite a bit of steel plate, bowling pin, ppc, and others with no classification. However, I do like to compete against everyone evenly. Last year a Master in IPSC showed up at an annual plate match and shot open. He beat me by a 1/2 second and guess what, it made me want to practice more. He wanted me to shoot his open gun, which held 24 rounds, on the course because he knew I'd beat him without having to reload. Long story short I didn't. But I like competing anyway. If your not out to compete against everyone, why go. I'd rather go to a match & compete against all GMs than a match with all beginners.