Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Thumb Safety From Sv

DBChaffin

SV's webpage now lists a new "Optifit" thumb safety. Not a whole lot of propaganda, mainly just some disassembly/assembly instructions. Any thoughts? Anyone seen one? Is it shaped externally like the standard SV/Ed Brown thumb safety? Thanks.

I know Sandy's been thinking about making his own safety for several years, so it looks like he's finally done it.

I called and talked to Tami... She said they are available in narrow and wide wide widths. And the really cool thing is that you can have/order a different width for each side of the gun. Now that's the shit.

She said they're working perfectly and that everyone luuuves them.

be

Externally it is similar to an Ed Brown or any good ambi-safety. One difference is in how the ambi side attaches to the normal side. There is an expanding collar arrangement that slides into the opposite side and then the inner part is expanded with a tiny allen head bolt so that the two are locked together as one solid shaft until the bolt is loosened and the inner collar is allowed to shrink back down for dis-assembly. Among other things, it allows you to use the safety without having to worry about how to retain the ambi part on some brands of gun or worring about it falling off. It feels more solid that the traditional slotted type. Another difference is that Sandy claims the safety blocks the sear, as all others do, but his blocks the hammer from falling in the event of a sear failure.

The machine work is incredible as everything is so small and the fit is so precise. Sandy has been testing them for a few months and we had the opportunity to play with a prototype for a while.

Leo

Sounds great! My biggest peave with my new gun is the right side safety keeps walking away from engagement. I hate it!

Are these SV safeties drop in?

Is there "blending" that would need to be done on an STI frame?

TDean,

The safety is "drop-in" as far as fitting in the frame but, because of all of the different combinations and manufacturers of hammers, sears and frames, you will always have to "fit" the safety to function properly with your combination of parts.

Good Shooting,

Leo

I have a SVI Limited gun, that was delivered with the Ed Brown ambi safety. They kept walking apart, especially, for whatever reason, with weak hand shooting. I sent it back to SVI, and they fit their new 'screwed together' safety. Nice. Stays together, fairly simple to take apart and put back together. Great idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a new SV .40 limited gun, which, I believe, comes with this new thumb safety (as described by Leo). Shot 100 rounds through it and the safety kept loosening up. Am I not turning the little screw tight enough? Does it have to be super tight? There doesn't seem to be any other things you can do to it?! I saw the instructions on SV's site, but the site is down at the moment. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Other than this problem, the gun is real nice.

I may have found the answer to my question. Took the thing apart and put it together a few times. At the end, it stayed in place and lasted for about 250 rounds fired. This is what I found:

1. Keep hammer cocked during the entire assembly procedure

2. Do not over-tigthen the screw in between. Trying to reach "final tightness" per the instructions on SV's site may force the screw to come out of the right side safety pin

The safety seems to work afterwards, but the left and right sides are not "tight against the frame" (SV's instructions).

Is there anyone whose experience is different?