Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IRON MAN

I saw it this weekend. It was definitely the best super hero "introduction" movie of the bunch. Given the huge amount of $$$ it's making, we're sure to see a sequel soon. That will be the real test since the writers will be free to come up with an original story line. :popcorn1:

Now I just need to find a gorgeous, blond reporter to come to my house and give me an exhaustive, in-depth interviewing like the one in the movie. :roflol:

Interesting, but several plot holes that I had to practically reach up and switch off my brain to get over. Another re-write could have solved those.

But when Gwenyth (Pepper Potts) gets out of the car at Area 16, Yowza, whatta pair a legs!

Still, a fun movie and I don't regret the money spent.

Went to the movie theater tonight, and I got my money's worth. It was a lot of fun, enough that I didn't have any trouble suspending my disbelief. Even the gun stuff wasn't too bad, although the super advanced Tony Stark Enterprises guns were just HK G36s with C-More sights on them.

I also discovered that Gwyneth Paltrow apparently has a super power of her own--the ability to run at full speed over a grate while wearing 5-inch heels. Impressive!

• 1 year later...

It just occurred to me that I never did give Nemo that movie review/history of Tony Stark that I promised.

Iron Man first appeared in 1963. Stan Lee who created the character and wrote his early adventures makes no secret of the fact that Tony Stark Was originally based on Howard Hughes. I'm not talking the later, paranoid, mentally unhinged, obsessively germophobic, hasn't-trimmed-his-fingernails-or-taken-bath-in-five years Howard Hughes, I'm talking the young, amazingly good looking, high-level genius, kinda-looks-ike-Errol-Flynn-and-bonks-any-gorgeous-Hollywood-starlet-he-wants-to Howard Hughes.

The early parts of the movie pretty much follow the 1963 origin. While in a foreign country supporting the American war effort (in 1963 it was Vietnam and doing a field review of Stark-designed weapons' performance, in 2008 it's updated to the War on Terror and hawking the Jericho missile system), Tony Stark is severely wounded in an explosion, a piece of shrapnel lodged near his heart that will in weeks work itself inward and kill him. Imprisoned with Professor Yinsen (originally Vietnamese, natch, in the movie not) they work together to free themselves from the evil warlord who has imprisoned them both. Tony builds an armored chest plate that will keep the shrapnel from piercing his heart, and around that he and Yinsen design and build a crude suit of armor, somewhat paradoxically inset with all the cutting edge technological weaponry that a high-level genius intellect, feverishly battling for freedom and against death, can invent when pushed to the edge under incredible time pressure. Tony uses the first, bulky, prototype Iron Man armor to escape but Yinsen dies in the attempt.

Stan Lee always felt that every good hero, no matter how powerful, should have a counterbalancing weakness. In Tony's case it's the damage to his heart, and the irony (pun intended) that the Iron Man armor (or at least the chest plate of same) is not just there to be his superheroic identity, it's a necessity to keep him alive. Tony can never take off the chest plate, he has to wear it constantly, hidden under his clothes when not Iron Man, openly when he is. Eventually this goes away when Tony's damaged heart is removed and replaced with a cybernetic heart of his own design. Overtones of the Wizard of Oz's Tin Man without a heart do occur to me.

But...I get ahead of myself. Back to the early comic books, and the movie's storyline.

When Tony returns to the world, in short order, having seen and felt the ravages of war up-close and personal, he terminates Stark Industries' production of war materiel. Up til this point, the movie is pretty much a well-produced updating of the original story.

The rest of the movie skips ahead and pillages ideas from Iron Man stories of decades later, specifically Iron Man's conflict with Obadiah Stane who starts out as Stark's business rival and eventually dons a set of armor called Iron Monger to become Tony's armored antagonist. (Iron Man is always at his best when he's battling high-tech armored villains with suits to pit against his own.) In the movie Stane is recast as Tony's business partner and paternal figure after his own father's death.

We do skip in the movie the iterations of Iron Man armor between the first gray suit and the most current versions which are visually based on Japanese samurai armor, much more techno-geek manga-esque. In particular we skip the sleek design that Stark wore longer than any other suit, and for me has always been THE classic Iron Man.

Pepper Potts was an early cast member who then disappeared for decades before eventually being reintegrated into the Iron Man mythos. James Rhodes (Rhodey), though retconned as one of Stark's oldest friends, was actually a much later addition to the series, not first appearing until the late 1970s. They both work well as supporting characters in the movie. The robot Jarvis, for those who aren't comic book fans and thus don't get the little in-joke, is a play on the long running character of the Avengers' butler, Englishman Edwin Jarvis.

The linchpin of the film is Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of Tony Stark. When I first heard of his casting, it was from a guy bitching about what a BAD idea he thought it was. "Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, that's just ridiculous." I said slowly as I thought about it, "Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark....that's just FU(KING BRILLIANT. Perfect casting." And it was. Downey Jr. can play an incredibly good looking, talented, fast talking, charming and charismatic, high-IQ addict (I've heard it said we'll get into Tony's alcoholism in the second film) because he is in fact an incredibly good looking, talented, fast talking, charming and charismatic, high-IQ addict. It's tempting to say that Robert Downey Jr. was born to play this role.

I really liked this film. I agree it's the best Marvel movie yet.