Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Exposure - What is it, how much, what to do, etc.

-JQ-

• 2 weeks later...

Ok..... I've been shooting regular matches (outdoor only) every weekend plus practice since 2000.

I reload and shoot copper plated bullets. I dont smoke or pour my own bullets .. (molten lead).

On a whim I asked my Dr to check my lead level last physical. It was below 2 µg/dL......almost below detection levels.

But then I know those who run shot timers a lot on indoor matches, pour their own bullet AND smoke.......in each case they had high lead levels.

Take the above for what its worth.....

BB

I used to work on indoor range and shot nothing but lead. Since I stopped working at the indoor range my lead came down to 8 and is still falling. My problem was in the indoor range even though it conformed to all the regs.

I do not smoke - I plan to be shot by a jealous lover at age 105.

Mine is pretty high right now but I am working to bring it down.

How do you bring your lead levels down?

I successfully have lowered my lead levels from 35 in January to 23 in April by taking two regimens of THIS along with wearing a respirator when shooting indoors, wearing gloves when reloading, and taking 500mg OF Vitamin "C" two times a day with calcium supplements for good measure.

My Doc said whatever I was doing to keep it up.

Mine is pretty high right now but I am working to bring it down.

How do you bring your lead levels down?

I successfully have lowered my lead levels from 35 in January to 23 in April by taking two regimens of THIS along with wearing a respirator when shooting indoors, wearing gloves when reloading, and taking 500mg OF Vitamin "C" two times a day with calcium supplements for good measure.

My Doc said whatever I was doing to keep it up.

Mine was 20 earlier this year. I've taken two regimens of a different brand of Heavy Metal Cleanse (I think it was from Enzymatic) as well as following the above recommendations. I need to get tested again in a week and half.

~Mitch

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's down a little, but not much - down to 16. Took a Heavy Metal Cleanse and quit my job at the range. Wonder if there's contamination from somewhere else that's slowing the drop down?

~Mitch

My last one was 7

Couple years ago it was 46

So what did you change between when you found out it was 46 and now that it's a 7?

~Mitch

I don't shoot indoors, I think its the most important thing

Anti-ox vitamins

Good range hygiene, washing hands mouth clothes, no eating, etc.

Staying away from "lead smokebomb like" shooters guns

I did get chelation for a year and took OTC stuff mentioned

What I do:

I reload without a glove

I clean guns without a glove

I clean brass without a glove or mask

I shoot a lot

Lead contanmination will mess you up.

Be smart about your range-hygiene. Don't handle your cell phone, car keys, or wallet while at the range. You will get lead all over them if you do.

I use D-Lead wipes to try and decontaminate those items after use. Works good on your hands too, but I still find a time/place to wash up good afterwards.

Wow, numbers in the 40s?

I work on an indoor range, and not sitting behind some counter in the lobby. Most days I'm on the line either shooting or instructing at least 4 hours of the day. My lead levels (which are checked every 3 months) hover between 3 and 7. I don't think its shooting indoors that gives you a strong dose, unless the range has poor ventilation.

I don't reload, and from the responses so far, that seems to be the variable not in common with those who have stated high levels.

Wow, numbers in the 40s?

I work on an indoor range, and not sitting behind some counter in the lobby. Most days I'm on the line either shooting or instructing at least 4 hours of the day. My lead levels (which are checked every 3 months) hover between 3 and 7. I don't think its shooting indoors that gives you a strong dose, unless the range has poor ventilation.

I don't reload, and from the responses so far, that seems to be the variable not in common with those who have stated high levels.

Standing in a stall is probably no danger since the airflow is designed to move good air there. That sounds like generally what you are doing. That's NOT what I was doing.

When I say shooting indoors I mean USPSA shooting, Going downrange and setting up stages and standing around "in it". I didn't change anything about reloading except diligence to hygiene. Most people would freak to see my reloading habits.

Reloading, poor hygiene and shooting indoors will all contaminant you if you let them.

Keeping it out of your nose or mouth is the goal. Theres just many different ways it can get there.

Heavy metal contanimation could cause Alz, along with many other problems.

I went from 32 last year to 5 by only shooting outdoors and following some common sense things like the ones listed in this post. D-Lead soap cleanup after a match (I bring a bottle of water to rinse), D-Lead wipes for my keys, camera and phone when I get home, gloves and respirator when reloading or cleaning and I clean my reloading area with Ledizolv.

• 1 month later...

^^Obviously the lower the better.

Prob your MD is best to tell you about your number as everyone process it out a little different, metabolic rate, etc etc...but congrats on the big reduction.

Bill - I'm glad to see your chelation is working...that can sometimes be a mixed bag but is the best option for blood/lead reduction if available. Was is prescribed by your doc? I have a friend who gets it done regularly for general health.

Prevention and Hygeine is most important