Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PF Safety

mshotwell

many threads on this, try a search......

I aim for 169-170. If my bullets are not of consistent weight (my Masterblasters used to vary quite a bit), I usually round down the grains of my bullet by 1, also, as another safety measure, just in case (ie 179 instead of 180 grain).

For major I aim about 172, for minor about 132 and then I try to stick with a powder that gives me a standard deviation of less than 20 when doing 10 shot strings over the chrono. I'll still consider it acceptable if i can stay close to that throwing out the high and low and only using the other 8.

Seems to work, and powders that are hard to satisfy that with seem to have accuracy issues before I get down to the unreliable PF issues.

I try to get 170pf. The other thing I do is to look at the lowest velocity in each string and make sure it would make major with a little margin of error. That way even if you get really unlucky and have a couple of low readings at the chrono stage you should still be okay.

170-172 PF.

Realize that the chrono might have as much as 3-5% error, right??? How much velocity is that? For a .38 Super at 167 PF - let's say w/ a 125, 3% is 40 fps... That error in the wrong direction is definitely minor. At 172 PF, the same rate of error still puts you at major ;)

Limited guns 172 to 174 pf (200 gr fmj's with Clays)

Open guns 170 pf. (115 jhp's with N105)

Production guns about 145 to 150 . (For tought steel on windy days) (125 jhp's for 9mm and 165 jhp for 40)

Limited guns 172 to 174 pf (200 gr fmj's with Clays)

Open guns 170 pf. (115 jhp's with N105)

Production guns about 145 to 150 . (For tought steel on windy days) (125 jhp's for 9mm and 165 jhp for 40)

I thought you usually came in at about 166pf?? :roflol::roflol: