Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Icore loads

Tom Mainus

I am going to try shooting some Icore matches this year and I am looking for some load data for a 45acp to meet the 120PF that Icore requires.  All my loads are for IPSC and I am not sure how low the Icore guys go with their PF.  I am going to be loading 230grn jacketed bullets(unless someone has a better idea)  Prefer to use straight clays but I am open to suggestions.  Any help will be appreciated.

I am going to try shooting some Icore matches this year and I need some info on loads for 45ACP for Icore matches.  Their PF is only 120 and all the loads that I have are for Ipsc PF.  I plan on using 230grn jacketed bulllets(unless someone has a better idea)  And I prefer to use straight clays for powder.  How close to 120 do the Icore guys go?  Any help would be appreciated.

Tom, won't you get trajectory "problems" when shooting such heavy bullets at speeds that low? I've once saw Brian E. (wrote it her on the forum somewhere) put a lighter bullet on top of the same load (out of "lazyness"). Makes sense to me, but I would check in the Other sport shooting forum first. I believe that's wher the thread is . It's a thread on Steel Challenge Loads, I believe. And maybe this would make a nice thread in the Loading Forum.

Anyways, good luck developing a new load. Wish I could help you, but I just shoot IPSC.

Loads for ICORE are more  preferential.  I like a 200 grain round nose bullet.  If I could get a 185 round nose in a 45 I would probly choose it.  One stage, our standards, we shoot 6 at 50 yards and 6 at 25 yards.  You would want something that would have a managible recoil and good grouping.  The 120 powerfactor would not be a problem in the 45 and 1 round out of six pulled must make it.  But remember we have reactive targets that must fall.  I am not mush help as I shoot mainly an Open 38 special and use the 45 for the stock or Limited Division.  I hope this is helpful.

RB, I said trajectory, but I meant torque. Low velocity means low torque, resulting in awful accuracy. I don't know anything about ICORE, but I would go with a lighter bullet or a higher velocity just for that reason. The drop is not really an issue, although 12cm at 50m seems like a lot to me.

Bubber, glad you showed up.

I have been wondering if you have been prepping for ICORE.

Still using Solo 1000 or have you switched?

I can't seem to find any S1000 right now.

How have the temperature change affected your volocities?

Tom,

You may some of this thread helpful.  In it I asked about shooting 230 grn lrn at a minor power factor.

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...87&start=50

I shoot 230 grn moly lrn in my 625 with Clays.  Guess I'll have to go out and shoot some 200 grn and 230 grn at minor loads and at 50 yards.  I'll let you know what I find out.  And if you experiment please let us know.

Paul

(Edited by phara at 1:27 pm on Jan. 28, 2003)

Hey Viggen,  I still have about o pound of Solo left.  I haven't found a better powder for revos yet.  I am experimenting with Accurate No 2 improved. cause I have a few pounds of it after the IRC last year.  I wish I wrote my loading data down I had used about 3.5 of Solo behind a 200 grain westcoast plated bullet.   It grouped well and was able to recover from the small recoil.  I think Clays will do the same on the same load just not as clean.  So Paul there is a starting point but be careful Solo is a single base powder and I think Clays is a double.  Hope this helps.  

I have about 1 lb of S1000 left.

When it's time and if none is around I will go with either WST, N320, or Clays.

Sort of depends on price,  availability and phase of the moon.

I will be loading for 9mm, 38special, and 45acp - and don't feel like changing around poweders.

Any of those 3 will do the job but S1000 has done it real nice.

Seeing how it's tuesday we will miss you at Steel. The boy can take you now. He nails me to the wall.

• 1 month later...

Tom,

I used a 200 gr. RN with 3.8 of clays loaded to 1.265 OAL. That gave me about 650 fps for a 130PF out of a S&W 625. It was definitely a soft load but I felt there was to much of a lob effect on far targets so I upped it to 4.1 with an OAL of 1.255 That gave me a PF of about 150-155, still soft shooting yet more responsive. Hope this helps.