Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Your Highest Rank In IDPA?

Duane Thomas

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SS in SSP, CDP, ESR,and SSR and I barely squeak SS. I'm a long way from expert in any class. Seems like I'm not capible. I have a new pair of glasses on the way, we'll see. My accuracy is pretty good but I lack the speed required. Shooting thru trifocals and I lose the tri focal. New glasses are to the front sight on the right, distance on the left. I'm hoping this will help.

1st Classifier - shot Exp in CDP. Was gunning for Master, but a silly mistake, death jam on one of the strings and some brian fade cost me.

Will get it next time!

Once I get MA in CDP, I will try for MA in ESP and SSP as well. Haven't shot a match yet, just did the NSO and Classifier.

I finally made SSP/EX last week at a neighboring club. I shot the Classifier in CDP yesterday at our club after working a 120-hour night shift. I took my time and stayed safe but it was my most accurate to date with 32 points down for the match. I'm also current as ESP/SS. My SSR/SS classification is outdated and have never classified in ESR.

Edited by Samuel Adams

• 3 weeks later...

SSP SS only shot 1 match & got bumped.... like one of the first posters said, Im not moving up through classifiers..... to me that means little to nothing... I will move up by winning at each level , will be shooting several sanctioned matches this year (at least 6-8) so I expect to have my Master card by September.....10 months after my first match..... we shall see... :surprise:

Erich Leipold

A55078

Got my bump to SSP Expert today... 2 matches ...2 bumps.... Im sure it will get MUCH MUCH harder.....

• 2 weeks later...

First Classifier was in December 2012- Made SSP Sharpshooter, missed Expert by a few seconds.

stayed at that level through the monthly local matches.

Did not get the bump at the FL state match, shot pretty awful.

had another classifier recently and without really caring about the outcome I managed to make Expert.

Do I always shoot like it- No.

Congrats to Erich on the Match bump.

That was my first major match. tons of fun.

First Classifier was in December 2012- Made SSP Sharpshooter, missed Expert by a few seconds.

stayed at that level through the monthly local matches.

Did not get the bump at the FL state match, shot pretty awful.

had another classifier recently and without really caring about the outcome I managed to make Expert.

Do I always shoot like it- No.

Congrats to Erich on the Match bump.

That was my first major match. tons of fun.

Thank you sir ! It sure was a ton of fun (well all except stage 11....lol) Dan & his crew put on a fantastic event !

• 2 months later...

Just shot the Comptac TX state match and snagged my 3rd bump to Master, this time in CDP.

I've had a good run, getting the bump in each of the last 3 TX state matches (SSP/MA 2011, ESP/MA 2012, CDP/MA 2013).

And now I have no clue what to do next <lol>...

Just shot the Comptac TX state match and snagged my 3rd bump to Master, this time in CDP.

I've had a good run, getting the bump in each of the last 3 TX state matches (SSP/MA 2011, ESP/MA 2012, CDP/MA 2013).

And now I have no clue what to do next <lol>...

ESR or SSR of course! Bumps are rare there though- LOL.

Congrats!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My first year of shooting IDPA with 3 matches under my belt.

Just shot my first qualifier yesterday, Expert CDP.

Those of you who might know me probably wouldn't be surprised. Just an old Masterblaster blowing the dust out of my barrel. My son cant wait to give this a try in fact I think he is going to finish building his own pistol if I don't get it done soon!

Looking forward to seeing some old friends and making some new ones~!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CDP Master... I can't believe how many people want to get to master fast. Slow down and enjoy the ride. do it at matches. that is the true test IMO. I have friends who made SS or EXP at the classifier and cant get the job done at major matches. Maybe they should have slowed down and enjoyed winning at a lower level first. Just a thought.

Edited by darnobody

• 1 month later...

Master in SSP

two weeks before I was a SS in SSP. Then shot a classifier and advanced to EXP. Then won the class in Wisconsin State Championship. Bam! promoted to Master. it was a surprising few weeks!

Congratulations, very cool. Bump in classifier then win your class at a state championship, that is sweet! Great balance.

I can understand being surprised, shot Carolina Cup, placed in the middle of a huge expert class, took a family vacation to the northwest, came back on the red eye flight, went to the match with no sleep, no expectations, then just squeeked in on the classifier 98.82. Mixed feelings for me, I was happy to make it because I had the goal of making it by the end of the year, but didn't feel ready. I guess its the ongoing process of balancing and growing the skills, on one side is the fundamental stand and shoot skills of the classifier and then the other side of match "sense" and experience of big matches.

• 3 months later...

Made Master in CDP on Saturday. 2nd Classifier I've ever shot, but have been shooting IPSC for a couple of years.

Just missed MA in SSP/ESP shooting my carry gun, a G34. Dropped too many points on string 3... Will get it next time :)

• 1 month later...

I voted awhile ago but never posted. So in the spirit of sharing data for this study...

Jerry L.

A24342

SSP/MA Last classifier August 2007

ESP/EX Last classifier June 2012

CDP/EX Last classifier April 2011

SSR / UN (for comparing data purposes I have shot it by myself in practice with a borrowed gun and scored in the high SS to low EX range)

ESR / UN (never attempted)

BUG/ EX (lower realm of SSP / EX shooting with a group of friends) One of us actually shot a basement Master score with a G26 lol!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's crazy reading posts in how someone shoots the classifier for the first time and makes Expert or better with minimal time/experience in the sport. I just recently joined IDPA with maybe 8 local matches under my belt. I shot the classifier for the first time in CDP and made Marksman. I was pleasantly surprised because I totally expected to stay a novice.

My goal is to make expert by this time next year. I just got my timer in the mail along with a copy of Refinement and Repetition by Steve Anderson. I realize the book is catered to USPSA, but the dry fire skills taught translate to IDPA.