Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Makeover

Paul Burtchell

Just got my gun back from Benny Hill, yesterday. :rolleyes:

I sent Benny my 5" 40 S & W STI framed SVI slide Limited gun only 5 weeks ago for a makeover. I had purchased the gun a couple of months back from another BE forum member. It was set up as a bushing barrel short dustcover gun so it was the perfect base for a cross competitor platform. I shoot both USPSA and IDPA and wanted one gun for both disciplines.

Benny fitted a Scheumann bull barrel replaced the firing pin,added Ed Brown wide ambi-safeties, drilled and tapped mag release and extended button, and a Dawson Ice Magwell. Benny also added new Dawson +1 base pads, new followers and ISMI springs and tuned all my mags. That's my Limited setup.

Put back on the bushing barrel, take off the extended mag button, install the standard STI magwell that Benny trimmed down and I've got a great setup for IDPA ESP division.

Grips were stippled and painted by Jim Shanahan. I know I'm going to take some grief at the range for these "pimped out" grips, but I think that it looks "uber cool".

Thanks Benny !!!

I'm headed to the range to see how it shoots.

What do ya'll think??

Edited by baerburtchell

That is one of the best things about Benny - if you need your gun worked on and it is a 1911 style pistol he will do the work charge a fair price and get it back to you in reasonable time!! Great looking blaster!

I sent Benny my 5" 40 S & W STI framed SVI slide Limited gun only 5 weeks ago for a makeover. I had purchased the gun a couple of months back from another BE forum member. It was set up as a bushing barrel short dustcover gun so it was the perfect base for a cross competitor platform. I shoot both USPSA and IDPA and wanted one gun for both disciplines.

Benny fitted a Scheumann bull barrel replaced the firing pin,added Ed Brown wide ambi-safeties, drilled and tapped mag release and extended button, and a Dawson Ice Magwell. Benny also added new Dawson +1 base pads, new followers and ISMI springs and tuned all my mags. That's my Limited setup.

Put back on the bushing barrel, take off the extended mag button, install the standard STI magwell that Benny trimmed down and I've got a great setup for IDPA ESP division.

Grips were stippled and painted by Jim Shanahan. I know I'm going to take some grief at the range for these "pimped out" grips, but I think that it looks "uber cool".

Thanks Benny !!!

What do ya'll think??

Paul - Those grips match your Chuck Taylor's perfectly... lol! Seriously tho... looks great.

I'm good to go for LaGrange Saturday.

Mike

Thanks Benny !!!

What do ya'll think??

Paul - Those grips match your Chuck Taylor's perfectly... lol! Seriously tho... looks great.

I'm good to go for LaGrange Saturday.

Mike

:roflol: Flaming Chuck Taylors will be worn for Saturdays Match.

Very cool! Your set-up sounds super versatile - Limited, L10, IDPA-ESP. Heck, get another topend with a comped barrel and a JPoint and have an easy cross over to Open!

~Mitch

Very nice.

Although, last I checked, bull barrels are not allowed in IDPA for 5" lengths in any division. I was thinking of going the same route with .40 and a bushing setup in ESP. If they are suddenly allowing bull barrels....then I want one :)

Very cool! Your set-up sounds super versatile - Limited, L10, IDPA-ESP. Heck, get another topend with a comped barrel and a JPoint and have an easy cross over to Open!

~Mitch

Very nice.

Although, last I checked, bull barrels are not allowed in IDPA for 5" lengths in any division. I was thinking of going the same route with .40 and a bushing setup in ESP. If they are suddenly allowing bull barrels....then I want one :)

I kept the standard barrel with the bushing for IDPA. You are right, no 5" bull barrel for IDPA.