Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP MK1

00bullitt

So I won this gun at the Blue Ridge 3 gun and had intentions of just selling it. The more I play with it the more I see it in my future for 3 gun. I really like it. Had one guy on our squad with the SX2 and I talked to Daniel Horner about his and they just raved about their reliability. I used to rave about my Benelli but thos little quirks it has are starting to get on my nerves and happen too frequently in big matches. My Benelli and several other folks I know just had problem after problem with their Nelly at the BR3G. What gives here lately?

So.....for those of you with SX2's and FN SLP's........what are you doing as far as mods? I'm looking at finding an extended bolt handle and doing some milling work on the load port for the weak hand load.

Any other suggestions or hints anyone can throw my way?

Briley makes a bolt handle that works (Get the one for the SX2) open up the loading port a little and on the winchesters I would cut about a 1/2" off the rear of the forearm for loading clearance. Other than that I find that for limited I really like the SX2/FNP as a platform.

AS far as the extended bolt handle goes I knows Progressive Machine was going to start making them but I am not sure if they have or not. Another recomendation is to buy an extra light piston. Fortunately mine broke during a practice session and not a match.

Jayson Smith

Careful bullit, a guy can get made fun of around here for having a Benelli that won't run.

I don't blame you a bit, I went away from them to X2's a long time ago. Reliability is just too huge a factor to compromise at all.

Careful bullit, a guy can get made fun of around here for having a Benelli that won't run.

I don't blame you a bit, I went away from them to X2's a long time ago. Reliability is just too huge a factor to compromise at all.

Thats why its probably just best to switch for a while. I'm gonna make Nelly go sit in a corner until she gets her act together.

I have been running a 26" SX2 3' gun for awhile now (2years) with almost no problems. The only issues I have heard of are with the spring on the magazine disconnect gets weak after a awhile, this lets it double feed. I have a new spring but have not needed to install it yet. I will drop it in before the Ironman.

Other than that I run the light load gas piston and 1.5 oz. 3 dram loads all day with no problems. As far as cleaning, I tear it down maybe twice a year and oil it a little in between.

i also picked up an FN off the prize table at BRM3g and will be using this shotgun as a test bed for new products. the first is almost ready for shipment, it is an oversize bolt release that doesnt require any modifications to the firearm at all. the next is a Ti bolt handle that is in the works already. from their we will see what else we can do but i am thinking a shell plate might be in order like the one i have made for the benelli. it doesnt require welding and tracks the shells better for easier reloads.

Steve

i also picked up an FN off the prize table at BRM3g and will be using this shotgun as a test bed for new products. the first is almost ready for shipment, it is an oversize bolt release that doesnt require any modifications to the firearm at all. the next is a Ti bolt handle that is in the works already. from their we will see what else we can do but i am thinking a shell plate might be in order like the one i have made for the benelli. it doesnt require welding and tracks the shells better for easier reloads.

Steve

Excellent.......shoot me a PM if you have any extra prototypes you need tested. I'm all over the Ti bolt handle. Is the bolt release the same as the one you had demoed on your Nelly at BRM3G? Glad you're taking this by the horns.

I bought a new FN SLP Mk1 last week from Tanners in PA on Gunbroker for $679. It got here Tuesday, box of Briley extended chokes here Wednesday and shot it Thursday. Seems like a pretty nice shotgun. Ran everything perfect from light loads to slugs with the heavy piston. Please keep us updated on the parts from Progressive Machine. I had one of their ACOG flip covers and it was first class!

Now I just need to take the grinder to my brand new shotgun and open up the loading port, the edges are really sharp and I'm still bleeding from reload practice.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I think there may be something about running the heavy piston. I had an SLP that refused to function with normal field loads. Had to use extra strength stuff. I used the light piston. Never even thought to use the heavy piston, thinking that it was going in the wrong direction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The only issues I have heard of are with the spring on the magazine disconnect gets weak after a awhile, this lets it double feed. I have a new spring but have not needed to install it yet.

Mine has done that intermittently from day 1. I was told by Benny Hill this weekend to put a stronger spring in it but am not sure where to find one. What is the likelihood that just getting a new one would fix it? Do the FN name plated guns come with a stronger spring? I am also going to take it apart and see if it is hanging up at all and polish the area to see if that helps cuz its been doing it since it was new. Maybe mine just came with a bad new spring.

Edited by DrJRiddle

The only issues I have heard of are with the spring on the magazine disconnect gets weak after a awhile, this lets it double feed. I have a new spring but have not needed to install it yet.

Mine has done that intermittently from day 1. I was told by Benny Hill this weekend to put a stronger spring in it but am not sure where to find one. What is the likelihood that just getting a new one would fix it? Do the FN name plated guns come with a stronger spring? I am also going to take it apart and see if it is hanging up at all and polish the area to see if that helps cuz its been doing it since it was new. Maybe mine just came with a bad new spring.

Try Tom Neth at his shop in Emmett , Idaho (Dave Neth's dad). He stocks them. He swears by them, sounds like you got a weak one, this will fix your problem.... His Number is 208.365.4272.