Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the Value?

Bwana Six-Gun

I have a Browning Superposed Pidgeon Grade O/U, Serial # 54XXX S6 that I bought used back in '76. It came with 410, 28, and 20 guage tubes from Claud Purbaugh (sp?). I used it for a couple of years when I was seriously into skeet shooting before I got married and had to make a choice between skeet and feeding the wife and kids. For the last 25 years or so it has been a closet queen, but I just can't bring myself to sell it. I know I can never afford another one even close to it. Does anyone have any idea what it might be worth? All the books I have checked give a value, but they do not take into account the tubes. That may not add any value, but I don't think Claude is around anymore, so that should add something to it. I think it is in very good condition, but I am not a professional appraiser. Any thoughts?

The tubes really don't add much if any value to the value of the gun. You are correct Purbaugh has been out of business for some time. Unlike some other products that have had production stopped there isn't any collectible value associated with the tubes. The reason they don't hold much value is if one cracks, gets damaged there is no one to repair them and they need to get a whole new tube made for the gun. The 2 big tube manufactures now are briley and kolar. Those will add some value to the set, the others won't add much if anything maby a couple hundred bucks. If it is 26 inch barrels that would definately put it at the low end of the book value and definately make it a harder gun to move simply because the trend is toward 30-32 inch barrels and even 28 is hard to sell. Since you don't plan on selling it I would say look on www.jaquas.com and see what they are selling one for to give you a rough idea of the value without the tubes and figure about that or maby a couple hundred more.

It is definately a nice gun and could be shot well but if its 26in with the purbaugh tubes it would definately be hard to move these days if you ever decided to get rid of it. I say shoot the heck out of it and pass it down to kids, grandkids etc