Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays, Trap, SC forum

galt11

Does anyone know of a forum like the Enos forum but for the Shotgun sports? I tried looking on Google but wasn't to sucessful. I have learned so much from this group but would like to expand to other games as well. Thanks.

Adam

Does anyone know of a forum like the Enos forum but for the Shotgun sports? I tried looking on Google but wasn't to sucessful. I have learned so much from this group but would like to expand to other games as well. Thanks.

Adam

IIRC, yu can go to the NSCA web site and there is a forum aspect there that discusses sporting clays..I think...not sure about skeet or trap...hope it helps

Here are three that I've checked out less and less as I've been here and shooting fewer clays and more pistol. I tried to check that I'm not violating forum rules by posting this but if I am, moderators I apologize and please delete; as far as I know these are not competing with Brian's site.

http://forums.shotgunsports.com/categories.cfm?catid=39 - Not moderated, much mindless drivel

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum....6cdaf6f1bee1d78 - seems to be where many are now going for info

http://shooterspagetxforums.yuku.com/forum...es-General.html - well moderated, much shoot info, less discussion

I haven't found a shotgun site as good/comprehensive as this one is for "pistolas". ;)

In addition to the some of the sites mentioned, google Shotgun Report which is a read only, informative website that has a lot of good info IMO.

Here are three that I've checked out less and less as I've been here and shooting fewer clays and more pistol. I tried to check that I'm not violating forum rules by posting this but if I am, moderators I apologize and please delete; as far as I know these are not competing with Brian's site.

http://forums.shotgunsports.com/categories.cfm?catid=39 - Not moderated, much mindless drivel

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum....6cdaf6f1bee1d78 - seems to be where many are now going for info

http://shooterspagetxforums.yuku.com/forum...es-General.html - well moderated, much shoot info, less discussion

Thanks for the links. They are great.

Adam

I remember a guy called "The Tectnoid" that was funny and informative

Bruce Buck is the Technoid and is/was found at ShotgunReport.com. He and his partner Roland _______? were/are with the Connecticut Travelers Sporting Clays group. Don't know if Roland is still around, but I ran into Bruce at the SCI convention in January at the press room. If you can find it on Shotgun Report or elsewhere, their article "7 Steps to Shotgun Heaven" is very useful for beginners trying to decide on which gun to start with.

I remember a guy called "The Tectnoid" that was funny and informative

Bruce Buck is the Technoid and is/was found at ShotgunReport.com. He and his partner Roland _______? were/are with the Connecticut Travelers Sporting Clays group. Don't know if Roland is still around, but I ran into Bruce at the SCI convention in January at the press room. If you can find it on Shotgun Report or elsewhere, their article "7 Steps to Shotgun Heaven" is very useful for beginners trying to decide on which gun to start with.

That's rite ..I knew that , I even remeber meeting him onr time , now that you say his name. this getting old thing can be a bumber.

I remember admireing how he could poke fun at all of us and help with a problem at the same time.

Seven Steps

I adopted this plan. I have come along steadily if not rapidly. Though natural born I am not a natural born shooter. Probably accounts for the not rapid part. I'm at step 6. Skipped the "mortgage the farm" part and got a Beretta 682 Gold E. Currently looking for a fitter but have a lead on some more instruction.

I adopted this plan. I have come along steadily if not rapidly. Though natural born I am not a natural born shooter. Probably accounts for the not rapid part. I'm at step 6. Skipped the "mortgage the farm" part and got a Beretta 682 Gold E. Currently looking for a fitter but have a lead on some more instruction.

I just got "fitted" this weekend. I spent a lot of time with the guy. 80% of the fitting process is getting you to mount your gun properly. Make sure you have a ROCK solid mount first. You really need a clays Yoda to teach you the mount. You'll feel the gun lock in when you've got the mount right. At least I do anyway.

Also, I have it on very good word that the 682 will hold up for about 500K rounds before needing a rebuild. You'll get another 100K before the gun is probably ready for retirement. The way I see it, I'll just shoot the 682 until something shoots looser than I can economically fix it, then sell the gun for 40-50% new and buy another. The one issue I've had is with the fore end shooting loose, but I've "fixed" that with some stick on furniture pads. My gunsmith looked at it and considered it a "permanent" fix.

I apologized for showing up with such a crappy gun, but as far as he was concerned, I was ready to roll. I only "needed" a "better" gun out of want. I think the one issue with the 68X series is the trigger pulls. He thought they were a little stiff, but so far they've been transparent to me. I'll fix them when I get a backup gun and send my "A" gun in for the annual tuneup.

I just got "fitted" this weekend. I spent a lot of time with the guy. 80% of the fitting process is getting you to mount your gun properly. Make sure you have a ROCK solid mount first. You really need a clays Yoda to teach you the mount. You'll feel the gun lock in when you've got the mount right. At least I do anyway.

Also, I have it on very good word that the 682 will hold up for about 500K rounds before needing a rebuild. You'll get another 100K before the gun is probably ready for retirement. The way I see it, I'll just shoot the 682 until something shoots looser than I can economically fix it, then sell the gun for 40-50% new and buy another. The one issue I've had is with the fore end shooting loose, but I've "fixed" that with some stick on furniture pads. My gunsmith looked at it and considered it a "permanent" fix.

I apologized for showing up with such a crappy gun, but as far as he was concerned, I was ready to roll. I only "needed" a "better" gun out of want. I think the one issue with the 68X series is the trigger pulls. He thought they were a little stiff, but so far they've been transparent to me. I'll fix them when I get a backup gun and send my "A" gun in for the annual tuneup.

I went from my 391 to the 682 and am well please. When my body is willing I am shooting better. (Perhaps the 682 is playing a role in the improvment but it seems just as likely to me that I stopped cruising a plateau I was on.) I really like the 682 but my reasons are practical such as picking up shells and being able to shoot continental trap and not worrying about distracting my neighbor. I like the way the Gold E moves, light and agile. As you noted it had a fine reputation for reliability. None of this is meant to reflect negatively the 391 Teknys Gold I was shooting. The gun was not holding me back and I actually liked cleaning it.

The only issue I had with the 682 was the bottom barrel was giving light strikes on the first shot. Pulled the stock found a little crud in there. Continued shooting and have had no recurrence of the problem in several flats. :)

Back to the topic at hand, in my opinion there is no comparable shotgun forum to here. Shotgun World comes the closest but it has so many members, a continual inflow of newcomers who ask the same questions that were thoroughly discussed in the post before theirs, ....

If you can wade thru the BS and the antique format you can find some good info on trapshooters.com sometimes, maybe, but don't expect too much. It started out really good until it was discovered by the trolls and bs artists who have been allowed to run wild. Most folks on there don't participate in other forums so they don't know how to handle trolls. Too bad because at one time some of the best trapshooters in the country would participate.

• 3 weeks later...