Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre-travel and Reset problem Tanfoglio Limited

TMFAKBFS

A couple of days ago i received a package from Henning with my ordered parts in it. At the range I switched the grips, the EGW slidestop and I placed a new Mainspring. It shot perfect. Yesterday I went to the range for some more practise, but there the trouble started.

During a stage we where training I encountered 3 Failure to Fires. Round was in the chamber, hammer dropped (i believe), but no boom. Cycled the slide to feed a new round, same problem. Placed a new magazine and I was good to go. This happend 3 times during my 2 training hours.

When I got home I took my Tanfoglio Limited Custom apart and checked al the parts. There was nothing strange to see, I cleaned everything and put the gun together. Then I notised when i was doing the safety checks, that my reset didn't work. When I release my trigger gently the reset won't "click". If I then squeez the trigger again and let come back, the reset does arm again.

I turned the pre-travel srew a bit back and everything works again, but with more pre-travel offcourse.

Now the strange thing is, this wasn't a problem when my original single safety is fitted. Buth when the ambi is in I have to give the trigger more pre-travel, otherwise it won't reset. I fired around 5000 shots with the pre-travel screw in the previous position and the one sided safety fitted, without any problems.

Is there any explination for this ?

In short, there could be manufacturing tolerances that make both "work" but you had to adjust the pre-travel. Now that you re-adjusted the pre-travel, does it fire reliably? Also look at your over travel. The difference in the hammer clearing the sear could be as small as under 0.001" and if it was clearing and now barely does not, or it rubs, then you might have to adjust.

~Mitch

I turned the overtravel srew almost out when I was readjusting the pre-travel. After the reset worked reliable I adjusted the overtravel back. I'm gonna try to set the pretravel a bit further, cause I did a full turn of pretravel. I can test fire coming saturday. But it dryfires reliable now.

I noticed the pre-travel adjustment is a very fine adjustment.

What I mean is, there are very tight tolerances when adjusting the pre-travel.

I just got two Witness Elite Matches and did the pre-travel adjustment on both.

Just a slight amount too much results in the trigger not resetting. So I had to back off the adjustment very slightly until I got reliable trigger reset.

When changing the safety you are slightly changing the trigger travel as related to the sear and hammer. So, I'd think a slight amount of re-adjusting of the trigger pre-travel might be needed as suggested by others.

Work with the pre-travel adjustment a bit, and I bet you'll get it close to where it was.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Did a little work on the pre-travel screw and it is sweet now. Just a tiny bit of pre-travel, just as I like it, and a sharp reset, without the slack. Just as before.

Problem solved, now I can shoot my coming match this Saturday with confedence ;)

My safety was difficult to operate. It was rubbing on something it shouldn't. You could see the hammer moving as you actuated the safety lever.

My local gunsmith did a little fitting, and now it moves with ease, and does not interfere with the hammer.