Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Match jams

RUSHARP2

hey all...

1st... I did a search and didnt really get my answer.

To the issue at hand... I love my witness match (.40) and would like to start using full time as my USPSA gun. But I can't rely on it getting through a full stage with out a jam or two. Ususally it happens with about 3 left in the mag.

I saw some one (on another forum), bent the top of the mag in a little to stop the round from "jumping" as he called it.

My question is.... Can I find a mag(s) that will eliminate this "jumping" issue and stop the jam? I am not looking to spend the time and effort to make the mag(s) work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it matters, I am shooting WWB, that I just measured at 1.11-1.12.

Matt

Edited by RUSHARP2

Talk to Rich at Canyon Creek, he knows as much about those guns and magazines as anyone does. He can set up magazines for you, and fix the gun right if there is a problem with the gun.

Are you using the mags with or without the spacers? The spacer is in some of the 40 mags, If you don't have the spacers I would try loading your rounds longer.

Is the issue with one mag or does it happen with all your mags?

If it matters, I am shooting WWB, that I just measured at 1.11-1.12.

Matt

I tried shooting factory length loads (Wichester/Blazer) when I first got my Match 40 S&W (around 1.2 OAL). I always encountered jams right near the end of the mag in each stage. It wasn't until I used the lengths that were used by other forum members here (around 1.18 OAL) did my Match perform perfectly. Even when using magazines with spacers for the shorter length ammo, the gun jammed (although not as often). Henning has some awesome mags if you haven't got them already....anyways, if you are having the same problem as I had, changing the length will probably solve it.

looks like I was just in time to finish my reloading bench and get my Dillon then. I have 4 factory mags that came with the gun at time of purchase.

From reading this and anther forum, I guessed that the rounds were to short but was looking for confirmation of sorts. Lucky for me I only have a couple hundred left.

I ordered an extended mag from Hennig, but with this feedback it looks like I wont be able to use it until I start reloading.

For now I will load to capacity knowing I need to drop after 10 or so. With 4 mags I should be able to finish most runs no problem

By the way, anyone know of a factory round that meets the long length?

Thanks for the info.

Precision Delta sells a 40 S&W round that is loaded long for USPSA shooters. Check out thier web site. I shot them in a match a couple of times. They were very accurate the only thing I noticed was the powder residue was a little on the dirty side.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not the ammo.. Check the lips of the magazines. If you can put your finger under the front of the top round in the magazine and lift straight up, the feed lips are too wide. This happened to me from loading mine to 21 when they were new. Be very careful if you decide to bend them back yourself though.

Hope this helps..

With a factory round in the mag, there is no movement what so ever. All I know is that I switched to the precision delta long loads and the feed issues went away. I have now started reloading, and am loading to 1.18 or so and no issues with those. By the way thanks to everyone who put there load data in this forum so I had a decent starting point.

Matt

+1 on the feed lips. It looks like the rounds are releasing too soon. I loaded long in mine because I was using Clays, but all of the shorter stuff I tried ran fine in my guns. Tune the lips to .385" and make sure they are parallel. The rounds should sit in the mag so that the top of the case (when seen in profile) is parallel to the feed lips. If the round tips up relative to the lips then they are either too wide or spreading towards the front. If that doesn't work...and it should....you can look at your OAL.

Good luck.