Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 AE

31AndOut

Howdy - I did a global search for this topic, but didn't find anything. So if I missed it, please excuse me and direct me to the data.

I am new to this forum. I have posted this question on other forums without resolve. Here goes---

I am about to undertake a project to work down loads for the Desert Eagle in both 50AE and 44 Mag that are mild but still cycle the gas action. If any of you have any experience or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. THANKS in advance.

H110 and 296 may cause gun damage if reduced, whether from detonation or following a squib load ( bullet stuck) with a normal load is not clear, as 1BADMAGNUM said DO NOT reduce more than 3% from max load. Incidentally, 296 may, I say may be slightly faster than H110 IMHO.              Travis F.

H-110/296 are very close if not identical.  I have both powders on my shelf and cannot tell them apart visually or in loading data.  They both require high "magnum style" pressures to burn cleanly and efficiently and get very dirty if you attempt to download them.  I have also heard about the detonation issue, although I never experienced them myself.  When I began to download my loads the powder became so dirty that I had to clean the chamber between stages to keep the powder residue from building  up in the chamber and stopping the rounds from chambering.  I went to N-110 and never looked back.  It makes more velocity with less pressure and is very clean by comparison to 296.  It also does not suffer from the detonation issues.

Leo

I meant do not reduce more than 3% from MAX, Hodgdon and WInchester list only one load, if I recall correctly, Win. says to use as listed and not reduce at all.Hodgdon cautions against reduction of more than 3%. Seems like Lee and Speer gave min/max loads in their manuals. I do not have access to any data at the moment but the key would seem to be keeping pressure toward the upper end ( probably even harder to light at lower press. ) and assuring adequate loading density( loose powder may allow flashover and detonation? )I have never tried to reduce 296/H110 loads. When I want less velocity I use another powder. Good luck with the 50.         Travis F.