Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any tips for mounting a scope ?

StealthyBlagga

I just acquired a Meopta K-Dot scope and LaRue SPR-E mount. They are going on a 20" HBAR flat top AR15 in .223 (not too much recoil, obviously). Do you guys have any special tips for ensuring the best possible zero-retention ? I know to use blue Loctite on the mount screws, but do you have any other tips or suggestions ? I've always been a Tac Iron guy, so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to quality optics... thanks in advance.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I am not to sure I would loc-tite the screws for the rings, I woould tighten them propperly, but no loc-tite. I have never had a ring screw loosen, but I have had them so stuck they had to be drilled out. If you wish to use something on the rings themselves I wouldn't use loc-tite for that either, I use a product called Electra-Coat. It is made by 3-M and can be found at Electrical supply stores. It remains soft and it STICKS like crazy! It never dries out like Loc-tite. KurtM

What Kurt says...no loc-tite is needed using the proper/instructions on the LaRue rings/mount. The mount you selected is the best and if you follow the instructions you will be pleased for sure. Have been runing the same combo of scope and mount on my rifle for over a year and would not change a thing.

Since the rings are not your average rings just take your time and tighten slow! As you notice there are a lot of screws in the LaRue mount and they are made in such a way that they are rock solid and the whole mount and scope will return as they should.

Then go and shoot the hell out of the gun, shoot it like you own it:)

Scott

Thanks for the input guys. I already mounted the scope with blue Loctite on the screws but not on the rings... at least the mount should not shake loose! I really like shooting with a scope - being able to actually see the target almost feels like cheating :roflol: .

20TacScopeRifle-RHS-H1.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Doesn't anyone lap their rings anymore?

Maybe LaRue rings are so good, they don't need it.

I'd still lap 'em though...

I'm not sure how useful this would be for a 1-piece CNC-machined mount. I would be reluctant to cut into the hardcoat anodized finish unless it were really necessary.

You've already mounted your scope, but figured I'd post anyway...

I also have a K-Dot and LaRue mount. I used a method posted by Wes of MSTN:

Mounting Scope in LaRue

Worked nicely, especially his tip to use a metal straight edge to ensure the scope is parallel.

Indeed, the LaRue mounts are not supposed to require any lapping.

Edited by esskay

I also have a K-Dot on a LaRue SPR mount. No lapping or loctite required, I used two bubble level during installation one on the receiver and one on the elevation knob without cap and dial removed to level bubble. Tighten the bottom screws first, adjust the scope as necessary and tighten the top screws. I used a torque wrench to tighten the screws at 15 in-lbs.

I just acquired a Meopta K-Dot scope and LaRue SPR-E mount. They are going on a 20" HBAR flat top AR15 in .223 (not too much recoil, obviously). Do you guys have any special tips for ensuring the best possible zero-retention ? I know to use blue Loctite on the mount screws, but do you have any other tips or suggestions ? I've always been a Tac Iron guy, so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to quality optics... thanks in advance.

When mounting meopta, you'll need to put some shims underneath scope to get it centered to barrel. You can use some playing cards, or I used feeler gauges. Purple loctite is also ok.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I also used a level, on the top of the Pic rail and on the flat of the vertical adjustment assembly (in hindsight, using the underside would have been smarter). I did not need to shim the scope, as it bore sighted perfectly right off the bat. I only needed a cvouple of clicks to get spot on at 200 :D .

• 2 months later...