Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

And Another One's Gone

ErikW

You guys probably aren't going to believe me, but I broke another adjustable sight.

After breaking the Wilson at our section championship, I switched to my backup gun for the last stage. After the stage I noticed its Bo-Mar hinge pin had walked out a little bit. I just pushed it back and put the gun away.

Tonight I decided to LocTite the pin in there and close up the ends with silicone. When I used a punch to push the hinge pin to put some LocTite in the hole, half of the pin fell out.

This may have been broken for a long time and I always thought it was just loose. If it was broken, it did pretty well considering.

For those keeping score at home:

2 Tanfoglio (elevation screws)

1 Caspian (hinge pin)

1 STI (hinge pin)

2 Bo-Mar (elevation screw, hinge pin)

1 Wilson (leaf)

Use an allen wrench of the same dia. as the pin. drive it in. cut it off flush and peen in place. Mine has been fixed like that for years. I would suggest that you switch to open but I don't own any c more stock. Get rid of that 180pf deal and put a 14lb spring a 17 main spring(19 would be better) in that pistol. Breaking parts sucks but that many sights? Other than pins and loosing screws and springs I've never broke a sight, and I've used just about all of them. Good shooting and better luck Larry

I'm just wondering what you're gonna break when you get those fixed sights on all your guns? Slide, barrel, frame? Something will have to take up the slack. Ever think of bowling? Or maybe doing some charity work or something to improve your karma?

Ditto on replacing the pin with a piece of allen wrench. Leave it protruding quite a bit on the ends and peen them over a bit to hold it in pace. Not as pretty, but effective.

Those LPA factory hinge pins only last a couple thousand rponds. LPA make the rear sight for Para, STI, SA, Kimber, etc. Same goes for Colt's GC rear sight.

I wonder if Mr. SightBreakerMan could destroy an MMC adjustable rear . . . or the newish Novak?

They may not give the sight picture like a Bo-Mar, but they should be about as tough as you can get in an adjustable sight.