Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sporting Clays Lessons in the Pacific Northwest

Tangram

I've been shooting sporting clays for a year and a half. I have taken a couple lessons from Matt and Chuck Dryke. I'd like to expand my horizons so to speak and take another lesson or two this summer or fall (2008). Gil and Vickie Ash come to Oregon to teach and are on my list. Who else would you suggest?

Thanks

I've been shooting sporting clays for a year and a half. I have taken a couple lessons from Matt and Chuck Dryke. I'd like to expand my horizons so to speak and take another lesson or two this summer or fall (2008). Gil and Vickie Ash come to Oregon to teach and are on my list. Who else would you suggest?

Thanks

Wendel Cherry is good too..as is Mike McAlpine, Steve or Stephanie Schultz or Gary Greenway...

Edited by tightloop

Dan Mitchell, hands-down. Just drive to Salem and pay the man. You won't be sorry. If you groove to BE's vibe, you'll get along with Dan fine. He's more of a Zen/use the force guy.

www.mitchellsclaytargetsports.com

WillM on the forum prob knows some cats on the wet side near Seattle.

Whatever you do, try to chat up the instructor for 10-15 minutes or so to make sure they have a compatible personality to yours. Gil and Vicki's DVD's are nice too.

Edited by EricW

Funny you mention Dan Mitchell...MANY years ago, I used to shoot some Skeet with him here in GA! I know he's now more "Into" Sporting Clays...I wonder if he ever made the switch from a being one-eyed shooter--which WAS the way he shot Skeet--to being a TWO-eyed shooter??? Just curious....mikey357

I've taken lessons with Chuck and Matt, Gil and Dan - like 'em all, they've each helped and each has their strengths [and weaknesses]. If you want to get with it right away, I'd call Dan and get down to Salem. Try to schedule a lesson on Friday or Saturday, or better yet one each day and then stay for his Sunday shoot. Haven't seen the schedule but he has a fun shoot every Sunday and sometimes a registered shoot and they are fun. If you tell Dan you're staying for the shoot, he'll probably put you on his squad and you'll benefit from more time shooting with him.

A few years ago when both my sons were very into sporting clays also, we'd usually spend two weekends a month down there [five hour drive]. I'd been on quite a plateau for a while and after a spring with Dan I moved to master. He has a very straight-forward no b.s. approach which I found to be just what I needed - my oldest son also went on to be our state sub-junior champ for three years. [since I started USPSA, I've been moved back down to AA]

Dan will help you no matter what level shooter you are. If you don't want to get down to Salem, there are a couple of fellows that might be able to help you who work out of Seattle Skeet and Trap. Walt Plonski or Bob Murata can be reached at http://www.hpst.biz/instructors.htm. I've shot quite a bit with Walt but haven't taken lessons from either of them but I do know a couple of people who have had lessons with Walt - he's very good at recognizing what a shooter is doing as he shoots. I can also tell you that there are a couple of people in the area advertising themselves as instructors and you'd be well warned to stay away from them - you can usually tell by checking their NSCA member profile. If a so-called instructor can't even make it above C or D class.....PM me if you want names.