Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrome or not

drivingit

So your typical Newbie question. Noticing the substantial price difference between chrome and "blued" sti/svi, why so? Is it because of looks, or is the chrome better? Also how about cleaning, is one better than the other?

If you take a gun and have it chromed, it's going to cost about $200 give or take. It may not cost the retailer quite that much, but it does add noticably to their costs, which is why you see the difference.

Hard chrome will make a gun last longer (surface hardness it twice or three times what non-chromed steel is) as wear won't happen as quickly. It's a little easier to clean and it does make the gun resist rust and wear from repeated holster use.

Now there are some good alternatives such as IonBond and several other PVD coatings that are even harder than chrome....even more durable, but they tend to cost a little more. I have IonBond on my Open gun and that's what I'm planning on using on the new Open gun being built soon. R,

I personally think a blued gun looks better but this is mostly a matter of choice. Hard Chrome makes maintenance must easier in that it is more durable and less likely to rust. Blue takes quite a bit of care to keep rust free. I have seen blued guns get pretty rusty just during a match from sweaty hands.

Having said all that, I know people that leave their guns "in the white" for a season or two until they can afford to chrome them and the guns survive. They just take even more care than blued guns.

If cost is a big issue go ahead and get blue. You can always have it chromed later.

In my opinion hard chrome is still the best all around finish for a competition handgun. It is hard, wears forever, is very corrosion resistant, and is not costly to have applied. Some of the new PVD or more accurately PACVD coatings being chosen now are not as good in my opinion. It chips on the breechface, it chips on the upper and lower lugs, and leaves those areas unprotected. Other than that they are extremely good. Hard chrome is where it is at if you want a known good quality finish that will keep your gun healthy for 100K rounds.

Might I suggest getting any new gun in blue. Shoot it for a while. You will undoubtedly want or need some changes made to it. If it is already chromed, you'll be paying again for another chrome job.

Once you get it running right, just the way you like, then get it chromed or IonBond or whatever.

Also, remember that if you wait to get it chromed, you can get any type of finish you want: polished, brushed, matte, or any combo thereof. Tripp did a great two-tone brushed/matte on my single stack, and I really like it.

If it is already chromed, you'll be paying again for another chrome job.
Does removing chrome, nickel or whatever (I think it's called stripping) damage your gun, or more specific: how is plating removed?

• 2 weeks later...
Might I suggest getting any new gun in blue. Shoot it for a while. You will undoubtedly want or need some changes made to it. If it is already chromed, you'll be paying again for another chrome job.

Once you get it running right, just the way you like, then get it chromed or IonBond or whatever.

Also, remember that if you wait to get it chromed, you can get any type of finish you want: polished, brushed, matte, or any combo thereof. Tripp did a great two-tone brushed/matte on my single stack, and I really like it.

Looks like tripp is not going to do any chroming after 6/13,

http://www.trippresearch.com/osdoc/chrome.html

• 1 month later...

Just had my Springfield .45 returned from Tripp. Probably one the last hardchrome jobs his shop is going to do. Beautiful work which I know will extend the life of my gun and improve it's performance. Very easy to clean too. I wet the fouling with solvent, brush lightly, then spray it down with brake cleaner. Comes out looking new.

+1... That's pretty much what I did on my first and probably only high dollar sombody else built it. I ordered it blued figuring I would probably end up changing something. This winter I'm gonna IONBOND or hardchrome it.