Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Sights

NMBOpen

I have a 625-4 Model of 1989 5" that has reached the extreme of elevation adjust, but needs to go a little further to put POI on top of front blade. Rear blade is at max height, and had popped out of threads. Looking for suggestions.

post-12985-1207882255.jpg

post-12985-1207882237.jpg

I'm a total neophyte in this area, but I would guess that you may want to get a different rear sight. My Model of 1989 has a Millet rear and an SDM fiber optic front. I like it a lot more than a standard rear blade, as the sight picture is a little more like a Bomar rear. People on the forum also speak highly of the LPA rear sight, though I have no personal experience with it. Another option may be to file down the front sight.

Others may be able to comment on whether or not you've got a problem other than the sights and the sights are just a symptom of an underlying issue. Good luck!

You have a couple of obvious options: shorten your front blade or have somebody install a shorter one. The other is to install a taller rear sight...either by replacing the blade in your sight or buying an aftermarket one. The Bowen Classic Arms S&W sight is a good one, and a tall rear blade is available.

Mark Dye

Please don't be offended by this, but before doing anything to your sights, have you made absolutely sure you're not yanking your shots low?? Have you benched the gun, or had an experienced revolver shooter give it a try?

It's just that I've never seen a factory 625 that couldn't be properly dialed in.....

Please don't be offended by this, but before doing anything to your sights, have you made absolutely sure you're not yanking your shots low?? Have you benched the gun, or had an experienced revolver shooter give it a try?

It's just that I've never seen a factory 625 that couldn't be properly dialed in.....

This would have been my suggestion. It also has the benefit of being cheap to try.

This would have been my suggestion. It also has the benefit of being cheap to try.

+1 to the above. Also cheap (if it is in fact a gun problem) is to take the gun to the range with your ammo and a flat file. Set the rear sight about where you want it and file down the front sight (shoot three rounds, check POI, five swipes with the file, repeat as necessary). Finish it up with cold blue.

I am using a laser bore sighter (SiteLite) in the same manner that I use it (successfully) to set up my 1911/2011 Limited and Open guns. Even with the rear sight all the way up, the top of the blade is more than halfway down the front sight before the laser appears on top of the front sight. Seems a shorter front sight, possibly with fiber optic would be the simplest solution if I need to change sights.

I am using a laser bore sighter (SiteLite) in the same manner that I use it (successfully) to set up my 1911/2011 Limited and Open guns. Even with the rear sight all the way up, the top of the blade is more than halfway down the front sight before the laser appears on top of the front sight. Seems a shorter front sight, possibly with fiber optic would be the simplest solution if I need to change sights.

I have a bore sighter and have never had good luck with it on a revolver. YMMV

SDM makes a .250 and a .300 front sight. Weigand has .200, .250. and .300 in plain black Patridge

EGW Fiber optic is .295

All that said, I would check the rear blade and change it as needed. If I were going that route, I would buy the LPA rear sight (which is what I did) from Top Gun Supply who has the best price I have found at $59.95 but they are out of stock right now. Speed Shooters Specialties is a little more money but great to deal with. Then put a .300 fiber optic on the front and you will be good to go.

What load recipe are you shooting ?? (PF, bullet weight, velocity ?)

Can you measure the sights you have ??

Not knowing what pf load your shooting make's it a bit tough.

I have a 627 that I have to replace the rear sight on to shoot static steel

loads or knock down steel loads (30 pf difference)

What R_G_S says for replacement sights is good info too.

Your laser bore sighter is useless for elevation. Shoot the gun rested to compare you point of impact with shooting off hand. The .160 rear blade works well and is tall enough to allow deepening the notch along with widening it.

Edited by Tom E

• 2 weeks later...

There are new fiber optic sights for S&W revolver at Cylinder and Slide. They have front f/o pin-on and Classic in .250 and .300 tall, patridge

or improved ramp and f/o rear .160 tall that goes in place of the original blade. I have them on 5 guns and really like them. This is the 625

with a .300 front. You can see in the pic there is about 1/2 of the adjustment left to go up or down. One more option. Best Regards - Toolguy

post-10360-1208632027.jpg

post-10360-1208632044.jpg

Edited to remove quoted post.

Edited by Toolguy

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...