Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lightening (How to?)

austinkroe

All this talk of slide lightening has made me want to give it a try. By try I do not mean that I want to do the cuts myself because I do not have any of the equipment to do so.

However, there are a few hurdles that I have to get over. First, I am still in school and I don't have a ton of money to spend. Second, the gun I have is already chromed (I am not worried about refinishing the gun, more of how hard it will be to cut). Finally, I have no idea where to go for this type of work.

The gun I have is a standard issue Limited gun(LW frame, Bull Barrel, 40, etc.). The slide has not been milled on at all; it is not even flat topped. I bought the gun used and it came already chromed. It runs like a champ but from what I keep hearing slide lightening may make it feel better. I don't want to make it crazy light or anything, I just want to take some off. I also don't really care how it looks when I am done. I figured I would just use some cold blue to cover up the bare steel to keep it from rusting.

So, here are my questions:

Can this type of work be done to my gun?

What is the most cost effective way to lighten the slide (any good cuts that are not complex and don't weaken it)?

Where can I get this type of work done?

What should I expect to spend?

Any other thoughts?

Can't add much about lightening you slide, but I would mention that cold blue has no anti-corrosive properties... Not that you need to worry too much; just be sure to rub her down with the silicone impregnated cloth after every handling.

C

Austin, you happen to have a VERY good machinist locally who can do this for you at a respectable price.

John has done slides for local shooters as well as Henning Wallgren and all have turned out really nice! He'll be chopping up my Tanfoglio soon and I have no doubt he'll do a perfect job.

Also, if you want to try a lightened gun my Limited's slide has been mildly lightened. You are more then welcome to pop a few rounds through it. PM me if interested.

Josh

check out ebay,

yes I said ebay, do a store search for EGW1

thats the evolution gun works, and george smith put a bunch of parts and a few gunsmithing services on there.

I won a bid on a bomar sight cut over a year ago for 60 buck.

he usually has auctions for the bomar cuts, slide lighting and checkered front straps in his store most of the time.