Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

June

benos

Come on Brian, fess up. How many of them could you answer B4 Duane gave you the answers?

I have always liked trivia, but the kind of trivia I like tracks more toward naming all the 7 Dwarfs, the 8 reindeer who pull Santa's sleigh, etc.

I keep wondering where the guesses from Jeffro, The Reverend, Rhino and a few others are. Guy Neill is old as hell, like me, he should know some of these!!! What about it Old Shooter, where are your guesses.

It will be interesting to see who said what. More interesting would be to know why they said what they said, and do they still feel the same way now, as when they said it.

John Dunn's guesses are good, but I don't think he got them all.

I know I cannot win, but I'm dying to find out.

1. It baffels me that a shooter is cerebral enough to be familiar with Will Durant, but I will guess, Ray Chapman

2. This one sounds like something Duane himself might say, but maybe John is correct with Matt Burkett

3. This one sounds like Ken Hackathorn might have uttered this one

4. This sounds like a TGO quote

5. I also think this one is attributable to Ron Avery

6. Probably wrong, but Bill Wilson should have said this

7. Brian most likely did say this one

8. Massad Ayoob

9. The Burner would have said something like this

10. I hate to think that Ted Nugent is smart enough to have said this, but yes, he did.

Sig Lady

I'm slightly disappointed that you only offered up a charming limerick, and no answers. I know you cannot win again, but don't you have the spirit of competition? I thought, surely, a well read, intuitive woman like her will get most of them correct; but no, not even one guess...

BTW, I guess Benos didn't read my whine, cause Duane has posted some other quotations for the July gig...

I'll say it again, "These are too hard", and so are the ones for July.

Wasn't No. 3 posted here by a member some many weeks ago........? ;) And wasn't there some minor conversational scuffle about it.......? <_< (...possibly a quote within a quote...)

In fact, aren't some of these OTHER quotes also taken from postings on this Forum......? :huh:;)

(This posting placed here to mislead you. Its author takes no responsibility for its content nor for the attitude of any other poster.) :D

Duane told me I won again...but since I won in April, too bad for me. Last I heard, there were 3 tied for 2nd.

Actually, I said you would have have won, with four correct answers, but can't because you've already won this year. A salient difference. ;) And yes, we do have a three-way tie this month. John Dunn, old shooter and spook all have three correct answers apiece.

I'm posting this from the Holiday Inn where I'm staying while shooting the Factory Nats (where, with two days of the three-day match completed, Dave Sevigny is absolutely kicking ass, BTW).

Here is the Answer Key:

1. "I am sure most readers are familiar with the names Will and Ariel Durant as the authors of the mammoth 11-volume The Story of Civilization. Little known to many, however, is the existence of a slender 'additional volume' entitled, as best I can remember, The Lessons of History. The major premise of this conclusive text is simply that we don't learn a blessed thing from history." Al Pickles. "Guns and the Law." Guns, December 1988.

2. "Contrary to what you hear from anti-gunners influenced by Freud, guns and sex don't have a lot in common. There are, however, two crossover points. Whichever he's involved with, a man likes to achieve maximum performance, and he likes to have a little excitement involved." Massad Ayoob. "The Powerful Appeal of the Magnum Handgun." Guns, January 1989. (I'm shocked no one got this one, I might add. To me, it has Mas' personality all over it.)

3. "....for whatever reason, the Colt cult seems to attract a disproportionate share of blowhards and bullyboy types. Thus, if I see a man packing a custoomized Colt auto cocked and locked, I realize that I may be in the presense of a very knowledgeable and fine pistol shot. On the other hand, there is also an excellent chance that our hero is a hot-air artist who is not very competent with his over-accessorized toy or any other handgun, for that matter!" Jan Libourel. "The Cult of the Colt." 1989 Guns & Ammo Annual.

4. "You can hide, and you can act like it doesn't matter to you, but the truth of the matter is we all keep score. During the match, I do not keep track of the scores. I just perform my own business and shoot as well as I can. But when the match is over, how many people don't want to know where they finished?" Rob Leatham. "GunGames Interview: Rob Leatham." GunGames Premiere Issue 1995.

5. "Far too many modern day trainers have turned a blind eye to the Modern Isosceles. In my opinion, they really don't understand how it works so they either choose to ignore it or knock it as a 'gamey' technique. It was listening to this kind of talk that held up my progress as a shooter." Ron Avery. "The Modern Isoscles." American Handgunner, November/December 2000.

6. "Is there anything real about IPSC competition?....No, the sport isn't real and does not represent reality. That part of the answer is very simple....While there are those, Jeff Cooper especially, who went to great pains to breed some practical reality into the competition, in its purest sense they have failed. With very few exceptions, I have neither seen nor shot in a single stage of a match that I could survive if the targets were dangerous." Ross Seyfried. "How Practical Is 'Practical Shooting?'" Combat/Self-Defense Handguns 1990.

7. "A major area for most people is target acquisition. This is something that Rob Leatham beat us on for years." J. Michael Plaxco. "Minimizing 'Dwell Time' Keeps a Master Class Shooter Ahead." American Handgunner, September/October 1991.

8. "The .41 Action Express is the Rodney Dangerfield of the cartridge world. It don't get no respect!" Cameron Hopkins. ".41 AE: Going, Going..." American Handgunner, March/April 1991.

9. "With iron sights we try to stay focused on the front sight as the gun recoils, and of course the front of the gun is the part that jumps highest. If the front sight is lost as the muzzle jumps up, then the eye has to pick it up and refocus before the next shot can be fired. With the dot sight mounted further back on the gun, the amount it moves during recoil is much less. The dot hardly seems to move at all, it just sits there as you track from target to target." Jerry Barnhart. "Jerry Barnhart: A Class Act," Interview by Dave Anderson. American Handgunner, March/April 1991.

10. "I've known it forever, and Jesse Ventura figured it out pretty quick. The vast majority of America's free press doesn't report the news, they make it up. Anyone who dismisses the claims of a conspiracy is either a paid employee of the media or a deaf, dumb, and blind fool. Especially dumb." Ted Nugent. God, Guns, & Rock 'n' Roll.

Duane

Thanks for giving us the answers, speaking only for myself, I would have never gotten all ten.

BTW, you did not mention how you are doing at the FGN. We all fully expect you to at least be High Gun Writer, if not HOA.

Almost forgot, happy 4th.

Unfortunately there's no category for Top Gunwriter in USPSA. :angry: My match sucked - from the standpoint of shooting. Got about three hours of sleep a night for four nights, and I don't really know why. I think it had something to do with the strange room, strange bed - and missing my girlfriend. And the weather was horribly hot and humid - again. Combine the lack of sleep with the heat, and I was just doing stupid stuff. I love this sport, and I love this match, but this is probably the last time I'll ever shoot in Barry, Illinois. The more I experience other parts of the country, the more I appreciate Washington state.

We had a lot of Area One guys at the match last year - the first-ever Factory Nationals! - but very freakin' few this year. I asked the president of our IDPA club if he was going to shoot the Factory Nats again this year, and his reply was, "Not as long as it's in Barry, f'ing Illinois I'm not."

At least the Limited Nationals are in Bend, Oregon this year. Haven't made up my mind if I'm going to that, yet. Dave Sevigny offered me to shoot the match with his back-up Glock 35. That might be kinda cool.

So, with three correct, is John Dunn our only eligible winner?

John, if that's true, send me your address and I'll send you a book for your efforts.

Those were some seriously hard/fun questions though. I enjoyed it even if no one else did.

;)