Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

June

benos

This month's excellent trivia is from Duane Thomas, who, incidentally, said he could provide a few more of these if ya'all like this routine.

For this month's Win a Book contest, identify the person responsible for each of the following ten quotes. The quote may be from a gun magazine article or a book; it may something the writer "said" or a quote from an interview. All I need is the name, you don't have to provide the source.

The winner will be the first person to correctly identify all 10 "quotees." After each person posts their guesses I'll tell you how many correct answers you got, but I won't tell you which were right, which wrong. That would make it just too easy.

Let the games begin!

WHO SAID?

1. "I am sure most readers are familiar with the names Will and Ariel Durant as the authors of the mammoth 11-volume The Story of Civilization. Little known to many, however, is the existence of a slender 'additional volume' entitled, as best I can remember, The Lessons of History. The major premise of this conclusive text is simply that we don't learn a blessed thing from history."

2. "Contrary to what you hear from anti-gunners influenced by Freud, guns and sex don't have a lot in common. There are, however, two crossover points. Whichever he's involved with, a man likes to achieve maximum performance, and he likes to have a little excitement involved."

3. "....for whatever reason, the Colt cult seems to attract a disproportionate share of blowhards and bullyboy types. Thus, if I see a man packing a custoomized Colt auto cocked and locked, I realize that I may be in the presense of a very knowledgeable and fine pistol shot. On the other hand, there is also an excellent chance that our hero is a hot-air artist who is not very competent with his over-accessorized toy or any other handgun, for that matter!"

4. "You can hide, and you can act like it doesn't matter to you, but the truth of the matter is we all keep score. During the match, I do not keep track of the scores. I just perform my own business and shoot as well as I can. But when the match is over, how many people don't want to know where they finished?"

5. "Far too many modern day trainers have turned a blind eye to the Modern Isosceles. In my opinion, they really don't understand how it works so they either choose to ignore it or knock it as a 'gamey' technique. It was listening to this kind of talk that held up my progress as a shooter."

6. "Is there anything real about IPSC competition?....No, the sport isn't real and does not represent reality. That part of the answer is very simple....While there are those, Jeff Cooper especially, who went to great pains to breed some practical reality into the competition, in its purest sense they have failed. With very few exceptions, I have neither seen nor shot in a single stage of a match that I could survive if the targets were dangerous."

7. "A major area for most people is target acquisition. This is something that Rob Leatham beat us on for years."

8. "The .41 Action Express is the Rodney Dangerfield of the cartridge world. It don't get no respect!"

9. "With iron sights we try to stay focused on the front sight as the gun recoils, and of course the front of the gun is the part that jumps highest. If the front sight is lost as the muzzle jumps up, then the eye has to pick it up and refocus before the next shot can be fired. With the dot sight mounted further back on the gun, the amount it moves during recoil is much less. The dot hardly seems to move at all, it just sits there as you track from target to target."

10. "I've known it forever, and Jesse Ventura figured it out pretty quick. The vast majority of America's free press doesn't report the news, they make it up. Anyone who dismisses the claims of a conspiracy is either a paid employee of the media or a deaf, dumb, and blind fool. Especially dumb."

No Sh*t! I've got a couple humdingers involving Special Relativity that will probably be accessible to more people than Duane's trivia. Everybody start brushing up on your hyperbolic functions now....

Geez....

I won in April, you remember, the limerick contest. Now I know why you didn't enter the limerick event, you were too busy researching these quotes.

I just want to see who gets the most correct without lending a hand unintentionally.

I won in April, you remember, the limerick contest. Now I know why you didn't enter the limerick event, you were too busy researching these quotes.

I just want to see who gets the most correct without lending a hand unintentionally.

You might as well take a crack at it. I'm PMing people regarding the correctness - or lack thereof - of their responses, specifically because I don't want previous correct guesses to allow someone to build on other people's work. So even if you get all four guesses correct, only you will know.

The Chapman Incident

As we were trying to determine the answer to the trivia question concerning Ray when he won the World Shoot in '75, some of the forum members called Ray at home to get the answer to various parts of the question. Myself included. His Ex, Beverly took umbrage to the manner in which some of the calls were conducted and posted a cryptic response; the short version was not to call him again, PERIOD!!

There was so much turmoil about the whole thing and based on the answers Beverly gave in her post (which were not the same answers as the person who posed the question) the whole thing was thrown out and there was no winner that month.

Probably not as interesting as the Squirrel Incident with The Burner, but there you have it, in all its gory detail.

• 3 weeks later...

Whining Mode On:

Benos, these are Tooooooo Haaaaaaaard, let's not do it again next month, Pretty Please.

Duane, don't even offer to generate anymore of these brain killers, I may not live long enough to figure out the first 10.

Whine Mode Off:

Duane give us some hints, the month is nearly over. Be a sport, come on...

I'm sure all these quotes are memorable to the guys who made them and to the people who heard them first hand, but it isn't like someone said, " give me IPSC or give me death". We need some help

TL,

It’s all for naught anyway (except for self-satisfaction) you and I have won this year and the rules say “you can only win ONCE in a calendar year”. :(

Personally, I’m hoping they get these hard ones out of the way by January so I can play again. The narcissist in me doesn’t like things quite so challenging… it’s so HARD to look good!

Ed

Okay, more hints:

Two of these are from World IPSC Champions. One is from a non-World Champion who's won the Nationals. One is from a former Chief of Police with 30-plus years law enforcement experience. One is from a man who has a doctorate. One is from a book. One, though not from a book, is from a guy who wrote a book. One is from a guy who raised a great cat. One is from an A-class IPSC shooter (at least he was A-class when this was written, I don't know what he's done since).