Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Firing Pins In A Limited Gun

Jack Suber

Could someone tell me why people use long firing pins in Limited Guns? Do they increase reliability? If you do use one, how do you set them up with regard to firing pin spring, mainspring, etc.? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jack

:unsure:

In some cases you may have to "tune" the length of a long firing pin. If so, set it up so the tip is just below (a couple thousandths) the breechface when the hammer is cocked. AS far as the other springs, just leave the way they are.

If you are using very fast powders like Clays or Vit 320, they are good insurance.

be

Thanks, guys. I was really just curious. I overheard some folks talking about them last weekend, but I never really got an idea as to why people use them. Brian, when you say they are good insurance with fast powders, what do you mean? Thanks.

Jack

I don't understand how either, but a Limcat XL certainly did the trick on my Sooper. I would think they just take up the space that the melted material would otherwise flow back into. But I don't think that's all there is to it because they really seem to actually prevent the melting from occurring in the first place. All the primer hits are uniform; there's no occassional shiny one or flat one or cratered one; they all look the same.

The brass does not actually melt ... it is just pressed into the firing pin hole far enough that it is sheared off as the barrel unlocks and forces the brass downward. The deeper the tunnel to the firing pin is, the more slices of primer can build up and eventually cause the failure to fire. If the firing pin fills the entire tunnel, the brass cannot enter the tunnel to be sheared off. Even if there is still a small area, it is not deep enough for a significant quantity of primer to build up so that it could stop ignition.

Be careful because the pressure is still there.

Leo