Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Rifle Primers for .40s&w??

mellow

I going to start loading .40s&w for limited. STI standard frame, bull barrel, probably going to use VV320 and Montana Gold 180 CMJs.

As for primers . . . can this be right? I got this from Maass.  How many here do this??

<i>Primers

Although Small Pistol Primers generally work fine in .40S& W, several contributors suggested that using Small Rifle Primers, as is typically done for other

high- pressure IPSC loads (38 Super, 9x21, 9x23, etc.) offers some additional margin of safety. Also, if you shoot one of these other calibers in Open

Category, you can stock just one type of primer, and have less risk of loading a Small Pistol Primer in your 38 Super loads. Remember to work up the load

with these primers, just as with any other component you change!</i>

***Also, do you guys recommend any particular brand of primer for IPSC loading? Thanks all

I belive that many people use small rifle primers in the .40 to keep from having to buy 2 different types of primers.  A small rifle primer will work anywhere that a small pistol will but the opposite is NOT true.  If you intend to buy only one type of primer for open and limited guns, small rifle is the common choice.  If you do not intend to load for an open gun, I would stick with small pistol since they should give you a faster indication of high pressures.  

Leo

I have used CCI small pistol primers in my .40 loads with Vit 320 for three years, with the following bullets:

- 180 grs (FP both lead and copper plated)

- 200 grs (FP both lead and copper plated)

- 213 grs LFP.

Never had high pressure warnings on the cases, so I didn't even think of using small rifle primers.

I prefer CCIs because they are relatively soft, and do not require too much priming effort on my Lee Pro100.

(Edited by Skywalker67 at 8:59 am on Jan. 30, 2003)

I second on the win small pistol primers in the .40 no signs of pressure....however when I do run out I probably will make the transion to exclusivly use small rifle in my 40 and super.  The last gun show I went to the small rifle were cheaper than the small pistol by about 5 bucks per 10k.

I use Win small rifle primers in my wifes limited gun  simply because I use them in my open gun as well. I've used N320 with various bullets weights with small pistol,magnum,and rifle primers with the same good results from all. If I was only shooting limited  I'd just use small or magnum pistol primers.  

I use both Federal Small Pistol and Federal Small Pistol Magnum(200's...which I think are the same as Small Rifle).

I didn't write any data down...but, I have fired them over the chrono with the same load.  There was a difference in velocity...less than 10fps as I recall.

read an article a while back warning against using small rifle primers in 40S&W.  the claim was that "not enough" preasure was being created to sufficiently seal the gasses in the case because the SRP's were made from too hard of a metal.  the escaping gasses could cause premature breechface erosion.