Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powder

Chris40

Chris,

Why not stick with the V V that you have already been using?  The smoke may be as a result of the lead or lube on the lead bullets.  With the JHP bullets there is no exposed lead on the back of the bullets and they usually smoke much less.  Try what you have before you try something new.

Good luck,

Leo

Chris,

L9X25 is right dead on.

The smoke you observed is not due to the powder, but to the bullet lube wax.

I have learned this when my .40" SW pet load (202grs FP bullet over 4.0grs Vitavuori N320) started to smoke like a old diesel engine all of a sudden, when previously didn't smoke at all.

After a long research I discovered the bullet manufacturer had changed the recipe for his lubing wax, hence all the smoke I was spraying around.

The manufacturer was smart enough to revert to the previous wax compound (probably I was not the only shooter reporting this inconvenient)...

I know this is not a recommendable practice, but it might be worth to give it a try: assemble 5/6 cartridges as usual, and 5/6 removing all wax from grooves (powder, O.A.L. and other parameters being the same). Then try firing them and observe any noticeable difference.

(Edited by Skywalker67 at 9:56 am on Feb. 3, 2003)

Thanks guys I do like the Vitavuori and I am going to have to use the Montana gold for the big matches. I was shooting the Louisiana State match and man like Skywalker67 said it was smoking like an old diesel. Thanks again I am looking to see what else everyone is using.

Or use precision Bullets ( coated bullets).I recently switched and could hardly discern any difference when I was using Zero and Montana gold. I could buy almost 2800 rds of precisions vs 2,000 rds of zero.

The Precision bullets work really well. I use the 185 with N320 and have no signs of smoke and the barrel is just as clean as when I was using jacketed. I was using Zero 200GR with 4.8gr of N320 at 1.180. When I switched to the 185GR Precision bullets I had to drop the powder charge to 4.6gr. It also feels softer now with out the bounce the 200GR seem to have. This is my wife's gun and after the switch she said she really liked the way the gun handled.