Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22lr Conversion

Mistral404

I have a new Marvel .22lr conversion that I have on my SS. I shot a couple hundred rounds and clean it. I have put about 600 rounds through it. About 350 of CCI and 150 of Remington. I took it apart today and there was so much lead in there I could not believe it.

The brass brush could not be pushed through the barrel. I was totally unprepared for this. I had to use my vise grips to remove the brush. I used some Sweets to remove the lead but it did not do a good job. I even used JB paste which helped somewhat. Crapola, I even bent one of my cheap .22 rods.

But there is still a huge amount a lead still in the barrel.

What do y'all use to clean the lead out of your barrels?

Thanks

a bronze brush and some elbow grease. i think i used WD40, but persistence was the main ingredient.

a note about ammunition: some of Remington's 22lr ammo (i don't recall the specific brand name, but it was the really cheap stuff) leaded up barrel terribly. it was lead color (not copper plated - that might be fine) and appeared to have a waxy coating. it was awful and i ended up giving it away with a note warning about heaving leading. 10 rounds was enough to foul the bore.

+ 1Million to the Remington is crap info. I will not buy a .22 round with RP or Remington on it, period.

Try the Fed 550pks at Walmart or the like......They are light years ahead of the RPs......and still reasonable....for now....

DougC

When shooting Remington Thunderbolts my Advantage Arms conversion kit for my glock has given me the same extreme leading problem. The leading was to the point I would not have been able to get a .17 cal brush down my .22 cal barrel.

I noticed if I chambered a round and then ejected it without firing one side of the bullet was deformed and scraped through the wax coating into the soft lead. Mostly the scrape was caused by a sharp edge that had developed at the bottom or the chamber. I was able to smooth that edge out with a small file to where bullets are not deformed as much but I still can't shoot the Thunderbolts with out extreme leading.

To clean the lead out of the barrel I plugged the muzzle end with a bullet and filled the barrel with Hoppes solvent over night. The next day a copper brush pushed right through clearing the bore. Then I used a second brush, that wasn't full of lead, to finish cleaning the barrel.

The Thunderbolts are the only 22 ammo that I have had a leading problem with. And I didn't use to have a problem with them.

Rob

CCI mini mags copper plated, if you don't mind the blast.

BORE SNAKE through barrel after every shooting session, while barrel is still warm.

Mini mags more expensive, but gun stays cleaner.

ty-3853

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with leading in my AA .22 glock kit. To get the lead out, I used these metal coils - I can't remember the name off hand. Anyway it comes in a bag and looks like a metal brillo pad - you cut off about 2 inches and wrap it around a regular bronze brush and run it down the barrel. Lead came out without any problems. I switched to the Federal bulk packs and no more lead problems.

I will try and find out the name of the product I mentioned.