Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Planning for the inevitable

Planning for the inevitable

Article By Dave Duffy

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/duffy110.html

Here is a down to earth article for anyone concerned about the current

situation our country has fallen into.

First, I'm not for, Ron Paul, but the author of this article is.

This was the first time that I've read any of Duffy's articles, there were a few

other good Links there as well.

Also just one more comment, I am not one to be posting much on Politics, except some

funny pictures when I run across them. This article just caught my attention.

Tap & Rack'em

Administrator note:

"Practical Ideas for Self-reliant Living" isn't a topic that is against forum rules (though it doesn't having anything to do with competition pistol shooting). Talking about politics is against the forum rules.

If you'd like to post about planting the modern equivalent of the victory garden, go for it. Just stay away from the race for President.

If you think you post is borderline...then don't post it

(we get enough of that stuff everywhere...this forum is about shooting).

We'll survive it all. We've had numerous recessions and the economy has always rebounded stronger than ever, as well as the stock market.

If you are over 40 you will remember the first gas shortages we had in the 70's. We had long lines, most stations were closed on sundays, here in Missouri we had odd and even days to buy gas depending on the first letter or number of your lsc plate. Gas nearly tripled overnight, people switched to diesel cars, smaller cars, etc. I had a friend buy a Renault "LeCar" a battery operated POS, which he paid a premium for, and in two years couldn't give it away. Same with diesel cars they were way popular for two or three years and then they nearly disappered.

I bought my first house in the 80's with a 16.25% home loan and was considered lucky to get it. The experts said if I didn't hurry up and buy a home right away I would never be able to buy one since interest rates would never go down.

They did.

The coming ice age scare in the 70's, which all the experts said we were headed,didn't happen.

The Berlin Wall came down, who would have thought they would ever live to see that.

Russia went broke. Their domestic gross product is now the size of South Korea. Why we let them influence us like they do is anyone's guess.

2nd hand smoke scare, come on, we grew up in a haze of 2nd hand smoke, if it was as bad and harmful as they claim

people my age would all be dead.

Lead scare. Some cities had lead water pipes for years and years and years. I had a lead soldier kit that you melted lead and pored it in a mold to make lead soldiers. The people in those cities are still kicking. Lead was in nearly all paint cause it made good paint. Some cities sit right on top of lead heaps, Bonne Terre,MO is one, once the largest lead mine in the world. Bonne Terre is still there, filled with people, and here's a surprise, some really old ones to boot.

Mercury, in 7th grade my science teacher passed around a small amount, hand to hand, so we could all look at it. we survived.

Creasote scare, how many millions of telephone poles, railroad ties, etc criss cross this county, all put up by someone's hands. we survived it.

Ronald Regan was reelected with a 48 state sweep and the unemployment rate was 7.3%. It's been below 5% for the past 6 years and you would think it was the end of the world. we'll survived.

The federal deficit as a percent of Gross Domestic Product, is lower than the yearly average of the past 40 years. we'll survived.

The plague. we survived

The influenze outbreak in the 20's the killed 20,000 people. we survived

Polio. yep

TB. yep

Y2K. yep

the comet Kohoteck (sp?), oh yes, in the 70's, it was headed right toward us, but alas, after they recalculated the distance, it missed us by 10,000,000 miles.

I could go on and on with the stuff the experts predicted that never happened. The American spirit will overcome, innovate, rise to the occassion, and continue, I'm sure of that.

Administrator note:

"Practical Ideas for Self-reliant Living" isn't a topic that is against forum rules (though it doesn't having anything to do with competition pistol shooting). Talking about politics is against the forum rules.

If you'd like to post about planting the modern equivalent of the victory garden, go for it. Just stay away from the race for President.

If you think you post is borderline...then don't post it

(we get enough of that stuff everywhere...this forum is about shooting).

A big 10-4 Flexmoney , my tomatoes will be going in on Race Day, May 25th, here in Indy again this year.

Last time I'll mention my garden. :excl:

:lol:

It's the hops that matter. The shortage of hops is impacting beer production - making for worse beer. And if there is one thing America can not survive and that is worse beer. Everything else will pass but bad beer is unsurvivable.

Plant hops.

It's the hops that matter. The shortage of hops is impacting beer production - making for worse beer. And if there is one thing America can not survive and that is worse beer. Everything else will pass but bad beer is unsurvivable.

Plant hops.

America has survived wimpy yellow beer for quite some time now. Apparently all it needs is water.

:cheers:

Plant hops.

America has survived wimpy yellow beer for quite some time now. Apparently all it needs is water.

:cheers:

Surviving is not prospering. And that rice they use to brew with is just wrong......

FWIW, hops are incredibly easy to grow in the right climate. In Denver, it's hard to keep them not-growing where you don't want them. I've seen the vines grow six inches in one day.. it's pretty impressive.

We'll survive it all. We've had numerous recessions and the economy has always rebounded stronger than ever, as well as the stock market.

If you are over 40 you will remember the first gas shortages we had in the 70's. We had long lines, most stations were closed on sundays, here in Missouri we had odd and even days to buy gas depending on the first letter or number of your lsc plate. Gas nearly tripled overnight, people switched to diesel cars, smaller cars, etc. I had a friend buy a Renault "LeCar" a battery operated POS, which he paid a premium for, and in two years couldn't give it away. Same with diesel cars they were way popular for two or three years and then they nearly disappered.

I bought my first house in the 80's with a 16.25% home loan and was considered lucky to get it. The experts said if I didn't hurry up and buy a home right away I would never be able to buy one since interest rates would never go down.

They did.

The coming ice age scare in the 70's, which all the experts said we were headed,didn't happen.

The Berlin Wall came down, who would have thought they would ever live to see that.

Russia went broke. Their domestic gross product is now the size of South Korea. Why we let them influence us like they do is anyone's guess.

2nd hand smoke scare, come on, we grew up in a haze of 2nd hand smoke, if it was as bad and harmful as they claim

Lead scare. Some cities had lead water pipes for years and years and years. I had a lead soldier kit that you melted lead and pored it in a mold to make lead soldiers. The people in those cities are still kicking. Lead was in nearly all paint cause it made good paint. Some cities sit right on top of lead heaps, Bonne Terre,MO is one, once the largest lead mine in the world. Bonne Terre is still there, filled with people, and here's a surprise, some really old ones to boot.

Mercury, in 7th grade my science teacher passed around a small amount, hand to hand, so we could all look at it. we survived.

Creasote scare, how many millions of telephone poles, railroad ties, etc criss cross this county, all put up by someone's hands. we survived it.

Ronald Regan was reelected with a 48 state sweep and the unemployment rate was 7.3%. It's been below 5% for the past 6 years and you would think it was the end of the world. we'll survived.

The federal deficit as a percent of Gross Domestic Product, is lower than the yearly average of the past 40 years. we'll survived.

The plague. we survived

Polio. yep

TB. yep

Y2K. yep

the comet Kohoteck (sp?), oh yes, in the 70's, it was headed right toward us, but alas, after they recalculated the distance, it missed us by 10,000,000 miles.

I could go on and on with the stuff the experts predicted that never happened. The American spirit will overcome, innovate, rise to the occassion, and continue, I'm sure of that.

Excellent post.

They did.

The plague. we survived

Polio. yep

TB. yep

Y2K. yep

Dammit man! You'll killing all the bargains. I bought a whole-house backup generator system for less than 1/2 off after Y2K...didn't happen. :P

A big +1 to BBoyd's post above. I'm now officially an AARP member and remember the gas lines and double digit inflation. Bought an AMC Gremlin for better gas mileage. The car was a POS and I still have the "LOSER" tatoo across my forehead. Cringed when I cashed in a CD that was making 22%. Rolled the dice when I bought my condo in the mid-80s and went with an adjustable rate mortgage thinking the rates had to go down. They did and ended up with a $325 note when I sold it 6 years ago.

As an Aussie told me once. "American beer is like sex in a canoe. Both are very close to water."

And thanks to Flex for keeping us on track. I don't need to sit around and talk politics all day. What I really need to know right now how to assemble one of those leather competition rifle slings and to figure out how to quit shaking like a Chihuahua on crack when doing 300 yd shots.

Plant hops.

There is a shortage of beer??

THE SKY IS FALLING, RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS OVER!!!!! RUN RUN RUN

We'll survive it all. ..................I could go on and on with the stuff the experts predicted that never happened. The American spirit will overcome, innovate, rise to the occassion, and continue, I'm sure of that.

Mr. Boyd,

You have put into words the thoughts I have had over the years. :bow:

thanks,

dj