Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD Spring

JThompson

I have a friend with an XD 40. He's wanting to shoot some minor loads through it. He was using 3.3 WST Berry 180... that should give him about a 132-134pf right? IF that is so, the gun will not cycle with the stock spring. What spring do you guys suggest for a minor load, or do you think cutting coils is the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim, is this a Tactical or Service model? I've got a Tactical with a stock spring that cycles 3.5 TG w/Berry 180 forever. The stock Tac spring is 18lbs and a 16lb is about as light as I'd go. Lower than that Striker function is somewhat effected and can lead to light strikes.

I have a friend with an XD 40. He's wanting to shoot some minor loads through it. He was using 3.3 WST Berry 180... that should give him about a 132-134pf right? IF that is so, the gun will not cycle with the stock spring. What spring do you guys suggest for a minor load, or do you think cutting coils is the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

www.springerprecision.com (or visit our sponsor page in the BE Forum sponsor section.)

We also have two new striker springs that will allow you some more flexibility in the recoil spring that you use.

10 Ring,

Try shooting a round without the magazine in, if it dribbles out the bottom of the mag well, there might be something else (non spring related) going on that can be fixed.

My Production gun is an XD-40 Tactical and I shoot .40 Minor loads.

132 to 134pf is about right. I couldn't get mine to run lower than that. The stock spring is 18lb and try working with that. If it will cycle and go to slide lock on a empty mag, go with it. Otherwise go with a 16lb spring. Do not go lower than 16lb! Dropping a 14lb spring in it will have the gun falling out of battery just by shaking the gun fore and aft along the muzzle axis. Keep an eye on the spring and if it gets at all weak, change it. For the 5" Tactical model any brand 1911 recoil spring will fit.

The XD Tactical models will accept a 1911 Government recoil spring Without modification. As Always check for spring bind and adjust as required. I have 40 Tac and ran a 18# for 2000 rounds w/o issue. Right now I am running a 16.5. My XD is in Geneseo getting a new trigger bar as the trigger pin on mine came loose and wobbles.

Harold H.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

You got a friend :blink:

Pardon the stupid question but what do you mean use a little more spring? Also whats meant by"fitting" the spring? I assume its not drop in and go then?

I am shooting 147 gr bear bullets w moly..3.2 gr powder for 950fps..gun shoots nice but just want to try a light than stock spring to experiment a little..

Pardon the stupid question but what do you mean use a little more spring? Also whats meant by"fitting" the spring? I assume its not drop in and go then?

I am shooting 147 gr bear bullets w moly..3.2 gr powder for 950fps..gun shoots nice but just want to try a light than stock spring to experiment a little..

I would not go below 16lbs. Maybe 15lbs but I think the sweet spot on an XD 9mm is 16lbs for handloads.

I would not go below 16lbs. Maybe 15lbs but I think the sweet spot on an XD 9mm is 16lbs for handloads.

Thanks.... that's what I read and others have posted... seems as though it doesn't hold it tight enough in battery with a lighter spring. This can cause the face to pull back slightly and you get a light strike.

www.springerprecision.com (or visit our sponsor page in the BE Forum sponsor section.)

We also have two new striker springs that will allow you some more flexibility in the recoil spring that you use.

10 Ring,

Try shooting a round without the magazine in, if it dribbles out the bottom of the mag well, there might be something else (non spring related) going on that can be fixed.

Scott,

What's the difference between your new springs and the stock ones?

They are longer, with more distance between the coils so the striker hits under more spring compression.

10 Ring,

Scott,

What's the difference between your new springs and the stock ones?

• 2 months later...

I've been toying with a 12# Ismi spring in my 9mm tactical. You have to have a firm grip on it or the striker spring over powers the recoil spring. Which really sucks when it goes click when you pull the trigger. Went back to a 14# spring runs flawlessly. Also the lighter springs seem to help with not loosing the front sight as easy.

• 2 weeks later...

you are correct. I tried 15lb and the spring wore out after 200 rounds of 850fps ammo. I can't even run a 17lb spring at 1000 fps for more than 300-400 rounds without it fatiguing.

i also found a lot of battering on the rod face and bushing. Cutting springs is a bad idea also. tried that an did not like the results. i'm shooting a service model in .40 S&W.

Also whats meant by"fitting" the spring?

If you buy an ISMI spring the instructions on how to fit it are included. However I'll try to expain it anyway.

Make the gun empty. Take off the slide and remove the recoil spring. Put it all back together except the recoil spring. Run the slide as far back as it will go. Make a pencil mark on the frame referencing something on the slide. Take the gun back apart and put in the new spring. Run the slide as far back as it will go. Do the marks line up? If yes, go shoot. If no the spring has run into coil binding and will not allow the slide to operate as it should. Take the recoil spring back out and cut off 1/2 coil. Put it back in and try it again. Keep going till the marks line up.

Just in the last couple matches I had a couple failures to go into battery. Sure sign of a weak spring. Didn't have another ISMI on hand and dropped in a Wolf. The Wolf didn't need any trimming in MY gun. Problem fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I'll add my dumb question to the thread: I see here (and have seen elsewhere) that a XD 9mm Tactical can run down to a 16# spring w/ light loads. But, what's the factory spring? In other words, if I want to experiment with a variety between 16# at the low end and the factory sprint at the high end --- what's my high end?

OK, so I'll add my dumb question to the thread: I see here (and have seen elsewhere) that a XD 9mm Tactical can run down to a 16# spring w/ light loads. But, what's the factory spring? In other words, if I want to experiment with a variety between 16# at the low end and the factory sprint at the high end --- what's my high end?
18 is factory

18 is factory

Yup. Verified by multiple sources.

18 is factory

Yup. Verified by multiple sources.

18.5 is my 45acp tac's factory spring. And I know a guy that ran a 12# spring in his xd9tac for production and it ran smooth as can be. As a matter of fact Scott I think you did the work on it originally, it was Perry's.