Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The show up shoot & scoot mentality

wooddog

We have a core group that sets up the stages and the squads usually tear down the stage where they finish. There are some shoot and run types, as well as others that really don't help at all- but that is just a fact of life. We are an outspoken bunch, so laziness does not go unmentioned.

Charge more for those that will not help out by giving the helping people a discount to normal match fees.

This brings up this:

At our club, we don't charge people who help setup, teardown, and RO. We give a discount if you do one or two of the three. This helps a little but we always need more shooters to get involved. Time constraints are hard to deal with. We have a lot of shooters that live more than an hour away.

That is the way we do it. I help out because it is helping me learn what it means to set up and I get to see the stages the night before.

Our club is small. We have 19 members at the last counting. about 8 or 9 of us are at the range early to set up for each of our twice-a-month matches. We have a few that come in and shoot right at the start of the match but unless something is going on, we very seldom have anyone just pack up and leave after the match. Actually, we will usually be tearing down completed stages while others are shooting the current one. We also have several folks with long drives to shoot.

I can understand your dilema, but.... I choose to look at it like this. I'm going to shoot on match day, so I'm going to set up stages that are a challenge to me and the friends that are there. If we can have a few others that want to help, that's great. But the point is that I'm setting up for myself.

If I didn't get to shoot because I was setting up or had to RO, I would probably see it in a different light, but right now, although I'm a bit harried by getting registration done and the classifier set up, I get to shoot every stage.

Ain't life Grand :cheers:

In all fairness, I have seen matches run just as you describe it. Two or three folks set everything up, 15-20 come in to shoot and leave and the same two or three have to tear it down. It's sad that it's that way.

FWIW

dj

I like this too. I am there for me and my friends. Naturally we are setting up for all to pay and play, but if they want to scoot that's cool. They paid to play, I worked to play it's all good. Their money and my hard work will help the club out in the long run. I just hope they let me know what they did and did not like. That way I can get more of them to come out and shoot so that I can continue to do so for free. (Except the day and a half of labor.)

Also, many of the shoot and scoot variety seem to leave their brass behind. this is a double boon for me! i get to learn the ins-and-outs of match construction/management, and they pay me (in brass) to do so.

:cheers: