Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winclean 45 Brass

chris4d

I've been shooting the Winchester Winclean white box ammo through my 1911 until my 650 arrived.  In addition to the stuff I shot, I've picked up quite a bit of Winchester brass on the range where I've been scrounging.  I've noticed that the Winclean I've been shooting has a larger flash hole than any other brass I've gotten my mitts on (even other Winchester brass).  My questions to the forum are:

- is it safe to reload (and then shoot) the stuff with the large flash hole?

-will it have any discernable impact on performance when compared to brass with a smaller flash hole?

This has been addressed in the past. Just FYI I've been reloading the Winclean stuff myself with no problems. This only makes sense. Winchester is a reputable company. Knowing, as they must, that their Winclean brass was going to be reloaded, they wouldn't have put it on the market if it could cause any problems.

Duane:

Sorry if this is redundant, I tried searching the forum and didn't find any hits to the keywords I used. Thanks for your patience.

Your point about the company not putting it out if it was going to cause reload issues makes sense.  Wanted to see what others thought/had found.

Winchester actually state in their ammunition catalog, in the section for the Winclean ammo, that it is reloadable as per normal brass. There does not seem to be any difference, as long as normal safe reloading practices are adhered to.

• 7 months later...

sorry to revive this thread but I just reloaded a bunch of mixed headstamp brass and I noticed that many of the  primers did not seat well on the winclean brass.  The other brass in the lot (federal and umc) were all nice and uniform, anyone else see this?  Or am i just selective when being a sissy pushing on the sdb handle?

Sam

I've never had a problem with WinClean brass pockets.  Others have caused problems occasionally.  After a reloading session, I put everything through a case gauge.  The ones that fail that test (and the really ugly problems like crumpled brass, shaved bullets, etc.), I check the headstamps of and if a repeat offender shows up, I toss that brass.  Usually, if its a brass issue, all of that headstamp in that run will cause you grief...

My $0.02