Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Toric contacts

Neomet

Wow, so this is what the rest of you see?!?!?! Went to the eye doc for the latest round of "Try to get Rick to see" and tried a pair of toric lenses just set for distance. No monovision, no bifocal, no progressive. Just plain daily wear torics. This is the best I have seen as far back as I can remember. The most dramatic thing is not just how much better I can see at a distance but how sharp and vivid everything is. It feels exactly like when we got our plasma HD TV. My doc put it in very technical terms: "You see pretty well for all the $hit that is wrong with your eyes".

I have just come back from driving all over the place snapping my eyes from one traffic sign to another as if they were targets and the difference is startling. I have glasses that correct the astigmatism but they do not provide results anything like this. Now the reason I was able to go these is that my open gun will arrive today or Monday so I won't need the arm's length focal point on my limited gun. That sight is little fuzzy to me but I figure I will be bangining away in open this year anyways.

Wow!

Yea, I love mine too.

I only wear them during outside activities like skiing, shooting, or diving. Normally, while inside at work, my eyes dry out too much, and when I blink the contacts spin a little (making my computer screen characters go a little fuzzy then clear).

You guys are lucky. I tried a pair for about a month and they worked pretty good. Although once in awhile the right eye would get blurry, astigmatism. Went to the doc to see how I liked them and I said they're pretty good, so we went ahead and ordered a years worth. Once I got the new contacts I put them in, the left eye was great, but the right eye was blurry most of the time instead of once in awhile. Went back to the doc to see if the prescription was wrong, everything he said was fine and they are fitting correctly on the eye, so what's the deal with the right eye so blurry??? The doc gave a different cleaning solution to use, still doesn't work.

Toric lenses are weighted so that they spin around so the weight is at the bottom. This allows the lens to be shaped specifically to correct astigmatism.

If the lens is blurry then the most likely cause is the inability of the lens to spin round to it's correct orientation. I don't wear toric lenses but I do wear regular contacts and the problem may be dry-eye. The lens needs lubrication to spin so you may want to try a couple of drops of 'REFRESH CONTACTS' on the inside of the lens before you insert them onto your eye and see if this fixes the problem.

Toric lenses are great. I just hate the price compared to the regular contacts. I can still remember when I switched, it was like taking a layer of fuzzy film off of your eyes. Everything was so clear.

Hey, thanks Brit for the hint on putting some drops in. My eyes do get dry and the humidity here today in Phoenix is... 8% which doesn't help. I just grabbed some readers to see the computer/read. I'm just so freakin' glad to be have the vision I do outside that I don't care.

What brand of contacts are you using?

Ciba Vision Focus Dailies. Were you using daily or 30 day Torics? I had been using 30 day B&L bifocal lenses and those things used to film up on my pretty regularly. Didn't matter if I kept them in at night or took 'em out when I slept. Odd, and very annoying. Ms. Neomet has had the same thing happen with her. Never quite figured out why.

Ciba Vision Focus Dailies. Were you using daily or 30 day Torics? I had been using 30 day B&L bifocal lenses and those things used to film up on my pretty regularly. Didn't matter if I kept them in at night or took 'em out when I slept. Odd, and very annoying. Ms. Neomet has had the same thing happen with her. Never quite figured out why.

I have the 30 day Bausch and Lomb Pure Vision, no bifocal.

I have the 30 day Bausch and Lomb Pure Vision, no bifocal.

That could well be your problem then. Both my wife (she doesn't wear bi-focals) and I had a problem with the B & L 30 dayers filming up on us, sometimes even after only wearing them a few days. Now the 30 dayers do let more oxygen in to the eye than the dailies but that blurriness just made them really problematic. I'd suggest you get a box of daily wear and give them a try. If they work maybe you can trade your 30 day ones in for the daily wears.

B & L contacts usually do not breath very well. Ask your optomitrist about choices. My optomitrist has a list of contacts that also shows how well "breathe" which makes them more comfortable to wear if you have dry eyes.

B & L contacts usually do not breath very well. Ask your optomitrist about choices. My optomitrist has a list of contacts that also shows how well "breathe" which makes them more comfortable to wear if you have dry eyes.

They said the Pure Vision were good. Makes me wonder If I need to find a different optometrist.

Good optometrists are like good gunsmiths.

When you get onto a good one, you wonder why the others you have used even bother to get out of bed.

Will my eye glass prescription work.... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

From my experience, No. They are slightly different scripts and you have to tell the doc you want contacts instead of glasses. And toric's have to be fitted.

Drift - Had Lasik on Friday. Was very scared. Everything went ok and I can see great! It is expensive, but figure it will pay for itself in less than 5 years (no new glasses, contacts, or solutions). /drift off

Yep, Toric lenses rock as long as they stay reasonably moist.

What's reasonably moist? I use this stuff called Blink right now, is there something better? I'll try the Refresh Contacts before I insert them like BritinUSA suggested.

I've been using B&L RENU Lubricating & Rewetting Drops for several years now. Target has a store brand that is, best I can tell, the same stuff.

Yep, Toric lenses rock as long as they stay reasonably moist.

What's reasonably moist? I use this stuff called Blink right now, is there something better? I'll try the Refresh Contacts before I insert them like BritinUSA suggested.

I've been using B&L RENU Lubricating & Rewetting Drops for several years now. Target has a store brand that is, best I can tell, the same stuff.

Went to Costco today to get a second opinion on the contacts. Took an exam, fitting, right eye was the same, but the left differed a little, doc gave me a pair to try for a week, so far so good. Get this, its the same brand, but working a lot better, I don't get it. <_<

I tried Torics briefly before going to the Lasik solution, and they were a very cool solution for someone with astigmatism who wanted to get away from prescription eyeglasses. But, they were still contacts and I had a hard time adjusting to having something in my eye sockets that I wasn't born with.

Trafalga: I added up new bifocal eyeglasses, new shooting-safe prescription glasses for matches, annual exams and the reality that all would likely need to be updated within 1-2 years, and amortized my Lasik investment to be only 2-3 years. It was probably 'fuzzy math' on my part, I know, but it helped me take the plunge and I'm damn glad I did.